Bliss (2007 film)
Bliss (Turkish: Mutluluk) is a 2007 Turkish film directed by Abdullah Oğuz, and starring Özgü Namal, Talat Bulut, and Murat Han. It was chosen to open the 2007 Asian Film Festival in Mumbai and the 2007 Medfilm Festival in Rome. It won the audience prize and the young jury prize at the 2008 Turkish Film Festival in Nuremberg and won the audience award for international films at the 2008 Miami International Film Festival. Also, Mutluluk was rewarded by European Council with the Prix Odyssee Human Rights Award in 2007.
|Directed by||Abdullah Oğuz|
|Produced by||Abdullah Oğuz|
|Written by||Kubilay Tunçer|
|Music by||Zülfü Livaneli|
|Edited by||Levent Çelebi|
|Distributed by||Kenda Film|
Meryem (Özgü Namal), a young woman of about 17 years old, is believed to have been violated, and her village's customs call for her to be killed to restore honor and dignity to her family and village. A young, newly returned war veteran and son of the village leader, Cemal Murat Han, is ordered to take Meryem to Istanbul and kill her, but at the last minute he doesn't allow himself to complete the task and the two, now unable to ever return to their village, run away together. Eventually, they meet up with ex-Professor Irfan, a man who has decided to live on a boat away from his wife and constricted life. In the end the real truth comes out and there is a surprise ending.
The film deals with morality as narrowly defined by tradition, in a series of situations in which the characters have to follow untraditional paths against their will. The harshness of existential pain is contrasted with beautiful landscapes by the Director of Photography, Mirsad Herovic.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 61% based on 23 reviews, and an average rating of 6.5/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 71 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "6th Asian Film festival inaugurated". Deccan Herald. 3 November 2007. Archived from the original on November 5, 2007. Retrieved 2009-04-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "MEDFILM: 187 TITOLI, FOCUS SU GRECIA E TUNISIA". ANSA. 7 November 2007. Archived from the original on 30 August 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Das 13. Filmfestival Türkei/Deutschland". Die Welt. 9 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ganan filmes mexicanos en Festival de Cine de Miami". El Informador. 10 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Sharkey, Betsy (October 9, 2009). "'Awakening to life can be sweet 'Bliss'". LA Times. Retrieved June 19, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mutluluk (Bliss) (2009)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved March 16, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bliss Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 16, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
| Yeşilçam Best Film Award