Blessy is an Indian film director and screenwriter who has made several critically acclaimed Malayalam films. His popular films include Kaazhcha (2004), Thanmathra (2005), Palunku (2006), Bhramaram (2009), and Pranayam (2011).
|Alma mater||Marthoma College, Thiruvalla|
|Years active||1986– present|
|Kazcha, Thanmathra, Pranayam|
Blessy learned his trade as an assistant director with filmmakers such as Padmarajan, Lohithadas and Jayaraj. He scripted and directed his debut movie Kaazhcha in 2004. Kaazcha portrayed the story of an orphaned boy, a victim of Gujarat earthquake and how he changes the life of a small-town film operator (played by Mammootty) and his family. The film won three Kerala State Film Awards including Best Film and Best Actor for Mammootty.
His next movie was Thanmathra (2005), which depicted the story of a middle-class government employee (played by Mohanlal) and his family, and portrayed the effects of Alzheimer's disease on his life and his family. The film won Blessy National Award for the Best Feature Film in Malayalam and five Kerala State Film Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actor for Mohanlal.
Blessy's next venture had Mammootty in Palunku (2006), followed by Calcutta News (2008), starring Dileep and Meera Jasmine, went on to be marginal hits. Bhramaram (2009), which had Mohanlal once again in the lead role was another successful movie. It was a story of Revenge against those that falsely accuse a man of murder and ruin his life. His 2011 film Pranayam includes Mohanlal, Anupam Kher, and Jaya Prada. His 2013 film Kalimannu starring Swetha Menon and Biju Menon in leading roles dwelled upon the theme of childbirth and the maternal and paternal connect towards a child.
|2008||Calcutta News||Writer, director||Malayalam|
|2020||Aadujeevitham||Writer, director||Malayalam||Adaptation of Benyamin's novel of the same name|
Music by A. R. Rahman
|2021||Untitled Mohanlal Movie||Writer, director||Malayalam|
|2016||100 Years of Chrysostom||Writer, director||Malayalam||48-hour documentary.|
- 2011: Best Director – Pranayam
- 2005: Best Director – Thanmathra
- 2005: Best Screen Play – Thanmathra
- 2005: Kerala State Film Award for Best Film: Thanmathra
- 2004: Kerala State Film Award for Best Film with Popular appeal & Aesthetic quality – Kaazhcha
- 2004: Kerala State Film Award for Best Debutant Director – Kaazhcha
- സിനിമയിലെ രാഷ്ട്രീയത്തെക്കുറിച്ച് ബ്ലെസി [Blessy on the politics of cinema]. mathrubhumi.com (in Malayalam). 6 September 2009. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- "Malayalam News, Kerala News, Latest Malayalam News, Latest Kerala News, Breaking News, Online News, Malayalam Online News, Kerala Politics, Business News, Movie News, Malayalam Movie News, News Headlines, Malayala Manorama Newspaper, Breaking Malayalam News". ManoramaOnline. 17 March 2014. Archived from the original on 19 March 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Malayalam News, Kerala News, Latest Malayalam News, Latest Kerala News, Breaking News, Online News, Malayalam Online News, Kerala Politics, Business News, Movie News, Malayalam Movie News, News Headlines, Malayala Manorama Newspaper, Breaking Malayalam News". ManoramaOnline. 15 March 2014. Archived from the original on 19 March 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- Ramachandran, Mythily (4 October 2012). "Southern Spice: Blessy lets his films do the talking". Gulf News. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Blessy's biopic on Mar Chrysostom". The Times of India.
- "The 59th Idea Filmfare Awards 2011(South)". The Times of India. 8 July 2012. Archived from the original on 4 July 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2012.