Blastobasis is the type genus of the gelechioid moth family Blastobasidae; in some arrangements these are placed in the case-bearer family (Coleophoridae) as a subfamily. Within the Blastobasidae, the subfamily Blastobasinae (or tribe Blastobasini, if united with the concealer moths) has been established to distinguish the Blastobasis lineage from the group around Holcocera, but the delimitation is not yet well-resolved.
|Resting adult of B. lacticolella
from Lincolnshire (UK)
Numerous, see text
The monophyly of this genus – the largest of its family, containing at present about half the described Blastobasidae species – is seriously in doubt. Many presumed relatives have been separated in small or even monotypic genera, which may actually represent specialized lineages within the Blastobasis assemblage. On the other hand, some formerly-independent genera are usually included in Blastobasis at the moment. Agnoea, Auximobasis, Euresia and Zenodochium are sometimes included here but considered distinct by other authors.
Species of Blastobasis include:
- Wikispecies (2008-MAY-02)
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004), ToL (2008), and see references in Savela (2001)
- AEBR (2008), Wikispecies (2008-MAY-02), FE (2009), and see references in Savela (2001)
- FE (2009), and see references in Savela (2001)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blastobasis.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Blastobasis|
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (2008): Australian Faunal Directory – Blastobasis. Version of 2008-OCT-09. Retrieved 2010-APR-28.
- Fauna Europaea (FE) (2009): Blastobasis. Version 2.1, 2009-DEC-22. Retrieved 2010-APR-28.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Blastobasis. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2010-APR-28.
- Savela, Markku (2001): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Blastobasis. Version of 2001-NOV-07. Retrieved 2010-APR-28.
- Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) (2008): Coleophoridae. Version of 2008-MAY-01. Retrieved 2010-APR-28.
- Adamski, D., 2013: Review of the Blastobasinae of Costa Rica (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea: Blastobasidae). Zootaxa 3618 (1): 1-223. Review and full article: doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3618.1.1
- Adamski, D. & R.L. Brown, 2002: New species of Blastobasis Zeller from New Caledonia and Fiji (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea: Coleophoridae: Blastobasinae). Insecta Koreana 19 (2): 137-145.
- Adamski, D. & H.H. Li, 2010: Three new species of Blastobasinae moths from Beijing, China (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea: Coleophoridae). Shilap Revista de Lepidopterologica 38 (151): 341-351.
- Adamski, D. ; R.S. Copeland ; S.E. Miller ; P.D.N. Hebert ; K. Darrow & Q. Luke, 2010: A review of African Blastobasinae (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea: Coleophoridae), with new taxa reared from native fruits in Kenya. Smithsonian contributions to Zoology 630: 1-68. Full article: .
- Karsholt, O. & S.Yu. Sinev, 2004: Contribution of the Lepidoptera fauna of the Madeira Islands. Part 4. Blastobasidae. Beiträge zur Entomologie 54 (2): 387-463.