|• Mayor||Randie L. Richmond|
|• Assistant Mayor||Carson J. Burrell|
|• Total||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|• Land||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||912 ft (278 m)|
|• Density||1,011.07/sq mi (390.98/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0454679|
Blakesburg was laid out in 1852. It was named for one of its founders, Theophilus Blake.
Blakesburg's longitude and latitude coordinates in decimal form are 40.962817, -92.636044.
|Source:"U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2020-03-29. and Iowa Data Center|
As of the census of 2010, there were 296 people, 145 households, and 84 families living in the city. The population density was 1,096.3 inhabitants per square mile (423.3/km2). There were 169 housing units at an average density of 625.9 per square mile (241.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.7% White and 0.3% from two or more races.
There were 145 households, of which 22.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.0% were married couples living together, 13.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 42.1% were non-families. 33.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.04 and the average family size was 2.60.
The median age in the city was 48.2 years. 18.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.3% were from 25 to 44; 31.5% were from 45 to 64; and 23.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.6% male and 52.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 374 people, 166 households, and 105 families living in the city. The population density was 1,408.9 people per square mile (534.8/km2). There were 177 housing units at an average density of 666.8 per square mile (253.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.66% White, 0.53% Asian, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.53% of the population.
There were 166 households, out of which 27.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.2% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.7% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.78.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 21.7% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 18.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 82.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,500, and the median income for a family was $35,417. Males had a median income of $27,813 versus $20,313 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,962. About 13.5% of families and 14.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.4% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and cultureEdit
- Airpower Museum
Located three miles northeast of Blakesburg, the Airpower Museum features approximately 25 mostly pre-World War II aircraft on display as well as the Library of Flight, and early flight simulators, propellers, engines, and original art. A fly-in of vintage aircraft is held each year.
The Eddyville–Blakesburg–Fremont Community School District serves the community. It has one school building—Blakesburg Elementary Attendance Center—located in the community. Students grades 7–12 attend the Eddyville–Blakesburg Junior/Senior High School in neighboring Eddyville.
The district was formed by the 2012 merger of the Eddyville–Blakesburg Community School District and the Fremont Community School District. The former was formed in 1994 by the merger of the Eddyville Community School District and the Blakesburg Community School District.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 16, 2022.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Blakesburg, Iowa
- "2020 Census State Redistricting Data". census.gov. United states Census Bureau. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- Waterman, Harrison Lyman (1914). History of Wapello County, Iowa, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 324.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Airpower Museum".
- "REORGANIZATION & DISSOLUTION ACTIONS SINCE 1965-66 Archived 2019-02-09 at the Wayback Machine." Iowa Department of Education. Retrieved on January 14, 2019.
- City-Data Comprehensive statistical data and more about Blakesburg