Bjørn Tore Wirkola (born 4 August 1943) is a retired Norwegian ski jumper. He became World Champion in Oslo in 1966, winning both the large and normal hill competitions. The 1966 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships were also held in conjunction with the Holmenkollen ski festival, making Wirkola the Holmenkollen champion as well (a feat he would repeat the following year). Wirkola won the Four Hills Tournament from 1967 to 1969, and is still the only ski jumper who has won this tournament three years in a row. He also competed at three Winter Olympics: in 1964 he finished eleventh in the Nordic combined, in 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble, he achieved his best finish with a fourth place in the individual normal hill, 0.6 points behind the bronze medalist Baldur Preiml of Austria, and the 1972 Winter Olympics, where he finished 37th in the wind-ravaged event in the Okurayama large hill.
Wirkola at the 1966 World Championships
|Born||4 August 1943 (age 76)|
|Height||177 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||69 kg (152 lb)|
For his achievements as a ski jumper, Wirkola was awarded the Holmenkollen medal in 1968 (shared with King Olav V, Assar Rönnlund, and Gjermund Eggen). The common parlance expression jumping after Wirkola has come to refer to situations where one embarks on a task where one's predecessor has done a particularly good job – or where one is unlikely to succeed.
Besides ski jumping Wirkola played association football for Rosenborg BK in the Norwegian Premier League from 1971 to 1974, and won both league and cup championships in 1971. The same year he was awarded Egebergs Ærespris; recipients of that prize had to be international competitors in one sport and top-level national competitors in a different sport.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Bjørn Wirkola". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 24 June 2016. Invalid
- Mäkimies toi tv-kamerat Iihin Archived 8 October 2016 at the Wayback Machine (in Finnish) Rantapohja
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bjørn Wirkola.|
- Bjørn Wirkola at the International Ski Federation
- Holmenkollen medalists – click Holmenkollmedaljen for downloadable pdf file (in Norwegian)
- Holmenkollen winners since 1892 – click Vinnere for downloadable pdf file (in Norwegian)
- Olympiske vinterleketer 1924–2006, Åge Dalby, Jan Greve, Per Jorsett, Akilles forlag, 2006, ISBN 82-7286-162-3, pp. 93–101. (in Norwegian)
| Egebergs Ærespris