Bixby (virtual assistant)(Redirected from Bixby (Voice Assistant))
|Developer(s)||Samsung & Viv Labs|
|Initial release||21 April 2017|
|Operating system||Android 7.0 Nougat with Samsung Experience|
|Available in||English, Korean|
|Type||Intelligent personal assistant|
On March 20, Samsung announced a voice-powered digital assistant named "Bixby "that debuted with the Galaxy S8 smartphone. Bixby was introduced alongside the Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+ during the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2017 event which was held on March 29. Samsung officially unveiled Bixby a week before launch but it only made its first appearance during the event. Bixby can also be unofficially installed on older Galaxy devices running Android Nougat, through APK downloads.
Bixby comes with three parts, known as Bixby Voice, Bixby Vision and Bixby Home. With Bixby Voice, the user can trigger to Bixby by simply calling it or pressing and holding on the button allocated below the volume rocker, dubbed the Bixby Button. For a while before the phone's release, the Bixby Button was reprogrammable and could be set to open other applications or assistants, such as Google Assistant. Near the phone's release, however, this ability was removed altogether with a firmware update, and now the Bixby Button is programmed to open only Bixby Assistant.
Bixby Vision is built-in into the camera app and can "see" what one can see as it is essentially an augmented reality camera that can identify objects in real time and then search for them on various services and purchase them. Bixby can also translate text, read QR codes and recognize landmarks.
Bixby Home can be found by swiping to the right from the home screen. It is a vertically scrolling list of a bunch of information that Bixby can interact with. One could find stuff like weather, fitness activity, buttons for controlling their smart home gadgets, and more.
Bixby supports multiple languages include English, Korean and Chinese. It also supports Contextual search and visual search which make search process easier comparing to use other voice assistants.
Language and Country AvailabilityEdit
As of now, Samsung's Bixby is only available in Korean and English languages while Samsung announced on April 6, 2017 that the German release is planned for Q4/2017. Other languages are not confirmed yet.
According to cnet, Samsung reported that Bixby will not be operational on the US version of the Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+ when the devices are shipped to consumers beginning 21st April 2017. Samsung said in a statement that key features of Bixby, including Vision, Home and Reminder, will be available with the global launch of these flagship smartphones. Bixby Voice will be available in the US on the Galaxy S8 & S8+ later this spring.
- "Bixby : A New Way to Interact with Your Phone". SAMSUNG Newsroom. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Pham, Sherisse (21 March 2017). "Samsung's new AI assistant will take on Siri and Alexa". CNNMoney. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Baig, Edward (20 March 2017). "Samsung promises its Galaxy S8 Bixby assistant will be 'fundamentally different'". USA Today. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Everything Samsung announced at its Unpacked 2017 launch event". VentureBeat. 2017-03-29. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Schoon, Ben (3 April 2017). "Here's how to install Bixby and the Galaxy S8's new launcher on other Samsung devices". 9to5Google. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Scott Adam Gordon (10 February 2017). "Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant to be based on S-Voice, not Viv Labs tech". ANDROID AUTHORITY. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- James Vincent (10 February 2017). "So, what is Samsung's Bixby AI assistant really made of?". The Verge. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- "Samsung Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant needs to grow up fast". CNET. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "What is Bixby and is it like Google Assistant?". Android Central. 2017-03-29. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "Bixby Vision:Augmented Reality (for buying stuff)". The Verge. 29 March 2017.
- "Bixby Home:Yet Another Pane of Widgets". The Verge. 29 March 2017.
- "Bixby : Samsung Virtual Assistant [ Full Guide ]". TTGADGET - Tips and Tutorials for Gadget. 2017-03-23. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Wann werden die Bixby Funktionen des Galaxy S8 / S8+ vollständig in Deutschland verfügbar sein?". www.samsung.com. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Samsung Galaxy S8 hits launch snag with Bixby voice assistant". Retrieved 2017-04-11.