Bixby (virtual assistant)(Redirected from Bixby (Voice Assistant))
|Developer(s)||Samsung and Viv Labs|
|Initial release||April 21, 2017|
|Available in||English, Korean|
|Type||Intelligent personal assistant|
On March 20, 2017, Samsung announced the voice-powered digital assistant named "Bixby". Bixby was introduced alongside the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ during the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2017 event, which was held on March 29, 2017. Samsung officially unveiled Bixby a week before launch but it only made its first appearance during the event. Bixby can also be sideloaded on older Galaxy devices running Android Nougat.
In May 2017, Samsung announced that Bixby would be coming to its line of Family Hub 2.0 refrigerators, making it the first non-mobile product to include the virtual assistant.
Bixby comes with three parts, known as Bixby Voice, Bixby Vision and Bixby Home. With Bixby Voice, the user can trigger Bixby by calling it or pressing and holding the button located below the volume rocker, dubbed the Bixby Button. A while before the phone's release, the Bixby Button was reprogrammable and could be set to open other applications or assistants, such as Google Assistant. Near the phone's release, however, this ability was removed with a firmware update.
Bixby Vision is built into the camera app and can "see" what one can see as it is essentially an augmented reality camera that can identify objects in real time, search for them on various services, and offer the user to purchase them if available. Bixby is also able to translate text, read QR codes and recognize landmarks.
Bixby Home can be found by swiping to the right on the home screen. It is a vertically scrolling list of information that Bixby can interact with, for example, weather, fitness activity, and buttons for controlling their smart home gadgets.
Bixby supports multiple languages including English, Korean and Chinese. It also supports contextual search and visual search.
Language and country availabilityEdit
Currently, Bixby is only available in Korean and English. However, Samsung announced on April 6, 2017 that the German release is planned for quarter 4 of 2017. Bixby Korean was launched on May 1, 2017 (KST).
Samsung reported that Bixby will not be operational on the US version of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ when the devices are shipped to consumers beginning April 21, 2017. Samsung have stated that the key features of Bixby, including Vision, Home and Reminder, will be available with the global launch of the smartphones. Bixby Voice will be available in the US on the Galaxy S8 and S8+ later this spring. However, the release of English version was postponed as Samsung had problems getting Bixby to fully understand the language.
As of August 2017, Bixby is avaliable in over 200 countries, but only in English and Korean.
Flagship smartphones and tabletsEdit
- Samsung Galaxy S8 (including S8+)
Mid-range smartphones and tabletsEdit
- Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) (available to users in South Korea only; without Bixby button)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017) (without Bixby button)
- Samsung Galaxy J7+ (2017) (Bixby Home and Reminder only)
- "Bixby APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. June 5, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "Bixby Global Action APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. May 28, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "Hello Bixby APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. June 5, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "Bixby service APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. June 5, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "Bixby Vision APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. May 4, 2017. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "Bixby voice input APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. May 17, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- ""Bixby" voice wake-up APKs - APKMirror". APKMirror. Android Police. May 28, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "Bixby : A New Way to Interact with Your Phone". SAMSUNG Newsroom. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Pham, Sherisse (21 March 2017). "Samsung's new AI assistant will take on Siri and Alexa". CNNMoney. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Baig, Edward (20 March 2017). "Samsung promises its Galaxy S8 Bixby assistant will be 'fundamentally different'". USA Today. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Everything Samsung announced at its Unpacked 2017 launch event". VentureBeat. 2017-03-29. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Schoon, Ben (3 April 2017). "Here’s how to install Bixby and the Galaxy S8’s new launcher on other Samsung devices". 9to5Google. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Scott Adam Gordon (10 February 2017). "Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant to be based on S-Voice, not Viv Labs tech". Android Authority. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Vincent, James (10 February 2017). "So, what is Samsung's Bixby AI assistant really made of?". The Verge. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Carman, Ashley (15 May 2017). "Samsung’s Bixby assistant is coming to smart fridges". The Verge. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Samsung Galaxy S8's Bixby assistant needs to grow up fast". CNET. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "What is Bixby and is it like Google Assistant?". Android Central. 2017-03-29. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "Bixby Vision:Augmented Reality (for buying stuff)". The Verge. 29 March 2017.
- "Bixby Home:Yet Another Pane of Widgets". The Verge. 29 March 2017.
- "Bixby : Samsung Virtual Assistant [ Full Guide ]". TTGADGET - Tips and Tutorials for Gadget. 2017-03-23. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Wann werden die Bixby Funktionen des Galaxy S8 / S8+ vollständig in Deutschland verfügbar sein?". www.samsung.com. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Samsung Launches Galaxy S8 Bixby Voice Command in Korea". 1 May 2017.
- "Samsung Galaxy S8 hits launch snag with Bixby voice assistant". Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- WSJ: Samsung's English-language Bixby rollout delayed because English is hard.
- Kharpal, Arjun (22 August 2017). "Samsung Bixby expands to over 200 countries in battle with Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri". CNBC. Retrieved 27 August 2017.