Daniel Larimer(Redirected from BitShares)
Daniel Larimer is a software programmer and cryptocurrency serial entrepreneur. Larimer created the cryptocurrency platform BitShares (2014), was co-founder of the blockchain social platform Steemit (2016), and is CTO Block.one, a private company that was the original developer of EOS (2017). Daniel Larimer was also the creator of the DPOS (Delegated Proof of Stake Algorithm) consensus algorithm and Graphene technology. In February 2018, Forbes estimated Larimer's net worth between $600 to $700 million.
|Known for||EOS, Steemit, and BitShares|
|Fields||Computer Science, Digital currencies|
Dan Larimer's father is Stan Larimer, who worked for Boeing, and with whom he founded Cryptonomex Inc., a blockchain technology consulting business. He received his Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 2003. After launching a virtual reality startup that failed, he worked in the defense, robotics and automation industries. His interest in blockchains began in 2009, in the early days of Bitcoin.
Larimer developed the blockchain technology Graphene, which powers BitShares and the Steem token cryptocurrency.
|Original author(s)||Daniel Larimer and Charles Hoskinson|
|Development status||Currently under development|
|License||MIT License (open source)|
In 2013, Larimer started BitShares. BitShares were originally named ProtoShares and intented to function as shares of virtual companies. BitShares has since been described as a cryptocurrency platform,, a digital currency, or a digital exchange. It is organized as a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO).
Interactions with Satoshi NakamotoEdit
The interactions between Daniel Larimer and Satoshi Nakamoto sparked one of the most infamous quotes from Satoshi towards Daniel Larimer:
"If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry." 
- Demmitt, Jacob (Mar 17, 2018). "Empty walls and big ambitions: Inside block.one, the $1.5 billion cryptocurrency startup taking shape in Blacksburg". The Roanoke Times. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Dan Larimer, Creator Of The Fastest Blockchains, Now Targeting Sub-second Latency In EOS". Cryptocoin.news. October 8, 2017.
- Kauflin, Jeff (Feb 7, 2018). "Dan Larimer's Path From Working On Weapons To Minting Crypto Riches". Forbes.
- "Meet Cryptonomex's Dan Larimer And His 'Four Horsemen' Of Crypto-Economics". Forbes. 2015.
- "Daniel Larimer - A Passion for Freedom via Decentralization".
- Singh, Mohit (5 July 2017). "The Wizard behind Bitshares, Steem & EOS - How Dan Larimer is shaping our future". Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- Bullock, Nicole (2 June 2018). "Blockchain start-up raises more than $4bn". FT.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Samson, Adam (30 January 2018). "SEC accuses crypto-bank of fraud, halts $1bn initial coin offering". FT.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Murray, Nate (19 November 2017). "100 cryptocurrencies described in four words or less". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Kaminska, Izabella (17 May 2016). "More decentralised autonomous organisation (DAO) mysticism". FT.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "The Social Network Doling Out Millions in Ephemeral Money", WIRED, 4 October 2017, retrieved 1 November 2018