Birgitta is the Swedish and Icelandic form of the Irish Gaelic female name Brighid. Brighid or Brigid was the name of an ancient Celtic goddess, and its English form is Bridget. Birgitta and its alternate forms Birgit and Britta became common names in Scandinavia because of St. Bridget of Sweden.
|Derived||Brighid (Celtic goddess)|
|Related names||Britta, Brigitte, Bridget, Brigita, Birgit|
People named BirgittaEdit
- Bridget of Sweden (c. 1303 – 23 July 1373), Swedish Roman Catholic saint
- Princess Birgitta of Sweden (born 1937), elder sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Birgitta Durell (1619-1683), Swedish industrialist
- Birgitta Jónsdóttir (born 1967), Icelandic politician
- Birgithe Kühle (1762-1832), Dano-Norwegian editor
- Birgitta Moran Farmer (1881-1939) , American miniature painter
- Birgitta Haukdal (born 1979), Icelandic singer
- Birgitte Winther (1751-1809), Danish opera singer
- Birgitta Hillingsø (born 1940), Danish antiques dealer and godmother of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark
- Hanks, P. & Hodges, F. (1990). A dictionary of first names. Oxford University Press.