This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
BioMed Central (BMC) is a United Kingdom-based, for-profit scientific open access publisher that produces over 250 scientific journals. All its journals are published online only. BioMed Central describes itself as the first and largest open access science publisher. It was founded in 2000 and has been owned by Springer, now Springer Nature, since 2008.
|Parent company||Springer Nature|
|Founder||Current Science Group|
|Headquarters location||London, WC1|
|Publication types||Scientific journals|
BioMed Central was founded in 2000 as part of the Current Science Group (now Science Navigation Group, SNG), a nursery of scientific publishing companies. SNG chairman Vitek Tracz developed the concept for the company after NIH director Harold Varmus's PubMed Central concept for open-access publishing was scaled back. The first director of the company was Jan Velterop. Chemistry Central was established in 2006 and the PhysMath Central journal imprint in 2007.
In 2002, the company introduced article processing charges, and these have since been the primary source of revenue. In 2007 Yale University Libraries stopped subsidizing BioMed Central article processing charges for Yale researchers.
In October 2008, it was announced that BioMed Central (along with Chemistry Central and PhysMath Central) had been acquired by Springer Science+Business Media, the second largest STM publisher. The Chemistry Central and PhysMath Central brands have since been retired.
BioMed Central's flagship journals include BMC Biology, BMC Medicine, Genome Biology (impact factor 14.08) and Genome Medicine. It also produces the BMC Series of journals covering the fields of biology and medicine. Most of the other journals published by BioMed Central are owned and produced independently by societies and academic editorial boards, with BioMed Central providing the hosting, publishing platform and marketing.
All journals are published online; some of the flagship journals have in the past also been available as print subscriptions, such as Arthritis Research & Therapy. Publications in BioMed Central journals are, immediately upon publication, released under the Creative Commons "Attribution" license which grants permission to reuse publications and produce derivative work. The only exceptions to this (as of 2010) were the flagship journals, which reserved rights on review and commentary content; those articles were available to purchase on a subscription or on a pay-per-view basis, becoming freely available (but not fully open access) to all after six months; however, as of January 2015, "no subscription fees apply to these journals or to any articles published in them."
The BMC Series is a collection of several dozen online research journals published by BioMed Central. Like all other BioMed Central journals, they have a policy of open access to the research articles they publish. Between them, they cover all major subject areas within biology and medicine. Two of the journals, BMC Biology and BMC Medicine, have a broad scope, and aim to publish particularly significant research. A third journal, BMC Research Notes, publishes research from all areas of biology and medicine without making impact or interest criteria for publication, while BMC Proceedings publishes conference proceedings. The other journals specialise on a particular subject area. Due to their free licensing, images from BMC journals can be reused in other places.
- BMC Anesthesiology
- BMC Biochemistry
- BMC Bioinformatics
- BMC Biology
- BMC Biomedical Engineering
- BMC Biophysics
- BMC Biotechnology
- BMC Cancer
- BMC Cardiovascular Disorders
- BMC Chemical Engineering
- BMC Chemistry
- BMC Clinical Pathology
- BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- BMC Dermatology
- BMC Developmental Biology
- BMC Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders
- BMC Ecology
- BMC Emergency Medicine
- BMC Endocrine Disorders
- BMC Energy
- BMC Evolutionary Biology
- BMC Family Practice
- BMC Gastroenterology
- BMC Genetics
- BMC Genomics
- BMC Geriatrics
- BMC Health Services Research
- BMC Hematology
- BMC Immunology
- BMC Infectious Diseases
- BMC International Health and Human Rights
- BMC Materials
- BMC Mechanical Engineering
- BMC Medical Education
- BMC Medical Ethics
- BMC Medical Genetics
- BMC Medical Genomics
- BMC Medical Imaging
- BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making
- BMC Medical Research Methodology
- BMC Medicine
- BMC Microbiology
- BMC Molecular Biology
- BMC Molecular and Cell Biology
- BMC Movement Ecology
- BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders
- BMC Nephrology
- BMC Neurology
- BMC Neuroscience
- BMC Nursing
- BMC Nutrition
- BMC Obesity
- BMC Ophthalmology
- BMC Oral Health
- BMC Palliative Care
- BMC Pediatrics
- BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology
- BMC Physiology
- BMC Plant Biology
- BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
- BMC Proceedings
- BMC Psychiatry
- BMC Psychology
- BMC Public Health
- BMC Pulmonary Medicine
- BMC Research Notes
- BMC Rheumatology
- BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation
- BMC Structural Biology
- BMC Surgery
- BMC Systems Biology
- BMC Urology
- BMC Veterinary Research
- BMC Women's Health
- BMC Zoology
The company also has hosted biomedical databases, including Current Controlled Trials, a database of clinical trials. The Biology Image Library and the Cases Database, a database of medical case reports, were closed in 2014. The company also provided hosting for institutional repositories of publications based on the DSpace platform under the brand Open Repository. The Open Repository activity was sold to Atmire in 2016.
- "Interview with Vitek Tracz: Essential for Science". Infotoday.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Quint, Barbara (7 January 2002). "BioMed Central Begins Charging Authors and Their Institutions for Article Publishing". Information Today. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "Yale Libraries Pull Out of BioMed Central Over Cost of Publication". The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2007-08-09. ISSN 0009-5982. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- Suber, Peter (2008-10-07). "Peter Suber, Open Access News". Earlham.edu. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "HIFA Supporting Organisations". HIFA2015. Archived from the original on 2014-12-08.
- "8. Do BioMed Central journals have Impact Factors and are they citation tracked?". BioMed Central. Archived from the original on 2016-10-30. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "Access to articles". BioMed Central. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "The BMC-series journals". BioMed Central. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Current Controlled Trials - Clinical Trial Search. ISRCTN numbering scheme. Database of Clinical Trials". Controlled-trials.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Home Page". Cases Database. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- http://casesdatabase.com/, Notice of Closure, July, 2014, accessed 2015-04-06
- "Home". Open Repository. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Atmire acquires Open Repository". Library Technology Guides. 2016-08-01.
This article's further reading may not follow Wikipedia's content policies or guidelines. Please improve this article by removing less relevant or redundant publications with the same point of view; or by incorporating the relevant publications into the body of the article through appropriate citations. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)