Billy Ray (screenwriter)
Billy Ray is an American screenwriter and film director. He began writing for television and movies in 1994 with Color of Night. He has written numerous movies including Volcano and Hart's War. He was one of the creators and writers of the science fiction show Earth 2. On August 10, 2015, it was announced that he will be writing a screenplay adaptation of The Devil in the White City that Martin Scorsese will direct, which will star Leonardo DiCaprio.
Billy Ray in 2007
September 21, 1971 (age 46)|
Tennessee, United States
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Ray was born to a Jewish family and raised in Encino, Los Angeles, California. Starting in 2003 he began to direct as well as write; his first film was Shattered Glass, inspired by the true story of Stephen Glass, a journalist who fabricated a majority of his stories. He was nominated for the Most Promising Filmmaker by the Chicago Film Critics Association and an Independent Spirit Award for Best Screenplay for his work on this film. Breach (2007), which Ray co-wrote and directed, tells a similar story about Robert Hanssen, an FBI agent convicted of spying for the Soviet Union and later Russia for more than two decades, and Eric O'Neill, who worked as his assistant and helped bring about his downfall.
- Color of Night (1994)
- Volcano (1997)
- Hart's War (2002)
- Shattered Glass (2003)
- Suspect Zero (2004)
- Flightplan (2005)
- Breach (2007)
- State of Play (2009)
- The Hunger Games (2012)
- Captain Phillips (2013)
- Secret in Their Eyes (2015)
- The Last Tycoon (2016–17)
- Overlord (2018)
- Terminator 6 (2019)
- "Production Credits: Color of Night". Allmovie. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Production Credits: Volcano". Allmovie. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- "Production Credits: Hart's War". Allmovie. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- "Scorsese and DiCaprio Take on The Devil in the White City". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- Pfefferman, Naomi. "Miniseries adds Jewish context to Fitzgerald's 'Last Tycoon'". Jewish Journal.
Ray, 53, said that he and the show’s executive producer, Christopher Keyser, deliberately increased the story’s Jewish content because they both are Jewish
- Hastings, Michael. "Overview: Shattered Glass". Allmovie. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Awards: Billy Ray". Allmusic. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- Buchanan, Jason. "Overview: Breach". Allmovie. Retrieved March 15, 2010.