Bille August (born 9 November 1948) is a Danish Academy Award-winning film and television director. His 1987 film Pelle the Conqueror won the Palme d'Or, Academy Award and Golden Globe. He is one of only eight directors to win the Palme d'Or twice, winning the prestigious award again in 1992 for The Best Intentions, based on the autobiographical script by Ingmar Bergman. He was married to Swedish actress Pernilla August from 1991 to 1997.
|Born||9 November 1948|
(m. 1991; div. 1997)
Masja Dessau c. 1978-1990
Annie Munksgaard Lauritzen c. 1970-1978
(2004 -> m. 2012 –present)
|Children||8, including Anders, Adam August, Alba and Asta August|
On 23 September 2011, Bille August announced that he had opened his studio in Hangzhou, China and taken a position as Tianpeng Media's Art Director, aiming to produce Chinese films for Tianpeng Media over the next few years. Tianpeng Media is a new media company established in 2010. The company so far has produced two films, The Women Knight of Mirror (竞雄女侠秋瑾) and The Years of Qi Xiao Fu (七小福之燃情岁月), which will be released later this year. Bille is the first foreign director to be hired by the Chinese film company. Recently, August also accepted the invitation from the Hangzhou government to serve as a "culture consultant" for the city.
His 2013 film Night Train to Lisbon premiered out of competition at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival. He had planned to direct a Gianni Versace biopic with Antonio Banderas as Versace, but this project was cancelled.
- Honning måne (1978, In My Life)
- Verden er så stor, så stor (1980)
- TV Movie
- Maj (1982)
- TV Movie
- Zappa (1983)
- Busters verden (1984, Buster's world)
- based on the book by Danish writer Bjarne Reuter
- Tro, håb og kærlighed (1984, Twist and Shout). Entered into the 14th Moscow International Film Festival.
- sequel to Zappa
- Pelle Erobreren (1987, Pelle the Conqueror)
- Den goda viljan (1991, The Best Intentions)
- The House of the Spirits (1993)
- based on a novel by Chilean author Isabel Allende.
- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1993) Two episodes
- Vienna, November 1908 (Season 2, Episode 9)
- Northern Italy, June 1918 (Season 2, Episode 10)
- Jerusalem (1996)
- based on a novel by the Swedish author Selma Lagerlöf.
- Smilla's Sense of Snow (1997)
- Les Misérables (1998)
- En sang for Martin (2001, A Song for Martin)
- Return to Sender (2005)
- Goodbye Bafana (2007)
- won the Cinema for Peace 2007 Best Director Award
- The Passion of Marie (2012)
- Night Train to Lisbon (2013)
- Silent Heart (2014)
- The Chinese Widow (2017)
- 55 Steps (2017)
- A Fortunate Man (2018)
- "Academy Award-winning director Bille August opens his studio in Hangzhou". Asia Pacific arts. 10 April 2011. Archived from the original on 26 August 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Berlinale 2013: Competition Now Complete". berlinale. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Antonio Banderas Cancels 'Versace' Project". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "Bille August Set to Direct 'Versace' Biopic With Antonio Banderas". Variety. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "11th Moscow International Film Festival (1979)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 3 April 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Festival de Cannes: Zappa". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- "13th Moscow International Film Festival (1983)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 7 November 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "14th Moscow International Film Festival (1985)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 16 March 2013. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Festival de Cannes: Pelle the Conqueror". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 27 July 2009.
- "The 61st Academy Awards (1989) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Pelle Erobreren (1987)". Swedish Film Institute. 15 March 2014.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Best Intentions". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 14 August 2009.
- "Berlinale: 1997 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 12 January 2012.