Billboard JAPAN is a sister organization of the U.S.-based music magazine Billboard. It is operated by the Japanese Osaka-based company Hanshin Contents Link (a subsidiary of Hanshin Electric Railway), holding an exclusive licence from Billboard's parent company to the Billboard brand name in Japan, and manages, among others, the web site www.billboard-japan.com and several "Billboard Live"-branded music clubs located in the country.
In February 2008 Hanshin Contents Link, under licence from Billboard, launched the Billboard Japan Hot 100 music chart. As of 2016, the list of charts compiled by Billboard Japan also included an albums chart named Billboard Japan Hot Albums, sales-only-based charts Top Singles Sales, Top Albums Sales, Top Jazz Albums Sales, and Top Classical Albums Sales, a radio-airplay chart named Radio Songs, an animation music chart named Hot Animation, and a chart for foreign songs named Hot Overseas.
Since 2010 Billboard Japan holds an annual awards ceremony called the Billboard Japan Music Awards, which honors artists, both Japanese and foreign, who had achieved best results in Billboard Japan music charts during the previous year.
Billboard Japan chartsEdit
- Hot 100 (combined chart)
- Hot Overseas (combined chart for foreign songs)
- Radio Songs (ended in 2017, based on airplay only)
- Streaming Songs (began when Radio Songs ended, based on streaming only)
- Hot Animation (combined chart for animation music)
- Top Singles Sales (based on singles sales only)
- Hot Albums (combined chart)
- Albums sales
- Top Albums Sales (based on albums sales only)
- Top Jazz Albums Sales (based on albums sales only)
- Top Classical Albums Sales (based on albums sales only)
- "Billboard Japan Unveils Chart Redesign, Opens Voting for Artist of the Year Ahead of Music Awards 2014". Billboard. 15 December 2014.
- "Hanshin Contents Link, the operator of Billboard Japan":
Billboard 8 January – 26 March 2011. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 8 January – 26 March 2011. pp. 9–. ISSN 0006-2510.
"Billboard Japan Music Awards Name Exile Artist of The Year". Billboard. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
"Crisis Management: Music Biz Offers Support to Japan after Quake". Billboard. 28 March 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
Billboard 8 January – 26 March 2011. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 8 January – 26 March 2011. p. 5. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "'Billboard Live' Venues To Roll Out In Japan". Billboard. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Billboard 18 August 2007. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 18 August 2007. p. 34–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "阪神、ビルボードと提携 ライブハウスを来夏開業" (in Japanese). 14 September 2006. Archived from the original on 3 November 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "Billboard Brings Music to Japanese Ears". Direct Marketing News. 4 October 2006. Retrieved 4 October 2006.
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100 Finds Global Audience". Billboard. 22 May 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "日本版ビルボードチャート始まる オンエア数も加味" (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2 March 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Mariko Okada (6 February 2016). "Billboard Japan Hot 100 Adds YouTube Views & Lyric Data to Chart Formula". Billboard.
- "Charts | Billboard JAPAN" (in Japanese). Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Billboard Japan(in Japanese)