Wilhelm Anton "Bill" Leeb (born 21 September 1966, Vienna, Austria) is an Austrian-Canadian electronic musician and record producer. He is best known for being a founding member of the industrial music group Front Line Assembly. Additionally, Leeb is known for his work with groups such as Noise Unit, Delerium, Intermix, and Skinny Puppy, among others.
Bill Leeb performing in Moscow, 2013.
|Birth name||Wilhelm Anton Leeb|
|Also known as||Bill Leeb, Wilhelm Schroeder|
21 September 1966 |
|Origin||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, composer, writer|
|Instruments||Synthesizer, sampler, percussion|
|Labels||KK, Dossier, Third Mind, Wax Trax!, Roadrunner, Cleopatra, Off Beat, Metropolis, Dependent, Zoth Ommog|
|Associated acts||Cyberaktif, Delerium, Equinox, Fauxliage, Front Line Assembly, Intermix, Noise Unit, Pro>Tech, Skinny Puppy, Synæsthesia|
Leeb began his musical career with industrial band Skinny Puppy in 1985 under the pseudonym Wilhelm Schroeder, contributing bass synth and occasional backing vocals to a few of their recordings and concerts. He left in mid 1986 and formed his own industrial project Front Line Assembly with Michael Balch, and later Rhys Fulber and Chris Peterson. Though Front Line Assembly has had consistent underground success, Leeb's most widely known efforts are through his side project, Delerium, which had a major hit in the late 1990s with "Silence". Leeb composed the soundtrack to the 1999 video game, Quake III Arena, of which the expansion pack, Team Arena, was composed by his band, Front Line Assembly.
Musical projects in which Bill Leeb has participated in include:
He has both Austrian and Canadian citizenship and speaks English as well as German. He moved to Kitimat, British Columbia, Canada with his family when he was 14. He was a high school student at Mount Elizabeth Secondary School. Leeb went to Camsoun College in Victoria, British Columbia to study journalism for two years. He lives in Vancouver.
Leeb has been in a relationship with Canadian artist Carylann Loeppky for over 20 years. The couple have been married but are now divorced. Loeppky was part of the tour personnel on Front Line Assembly tours "designing and selling merchandise and put together a visual presentation for the live performance." She also created the artwork for albums of Front Line Assembly and Delerium.
- Leeb, Bill (8 May 2013). "Bill Leeb (musician)". RAD1Radio (Radio).
- Bauer, Henrik (24 March 2004). "Mindphaser > People > Bill Leeb > Biography". Mindphaser.com. Archived from the original on 2 January 2005. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Raven, Daniel (2 June 2011). "Front Line Assembly Leads Cyborg Armies Through Post-Apocalyptic Soundscapes". Phoenix New Times. Voice Media Group. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Ankeny, Jason. "Front Line Assembly Biography". Allmusic. allmusic.com. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- Huey, Steve. Bill Leeb: Artist Biography by Steve Huey at AllMusic. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Humberstone, Nigel (January 1995). "Bill Leeb: Front Line Assembly". Sound on Sound. Cambridge, United Kingdom: SOS Publications Group. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Leeb, Bill (21 August 2013). "Front Line Assembly (Bill Leeb) Interview". dsoaudio.com (Interview). Interview with Rob Dyer. dsomedia. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Leeb, Bill (1999). "Q&A with Bill Leeb". Outburn (Interview). Interview with Rev. Moose. Thousand Oaks, California.
- Loeppky, Carylann (12 November 2006). "Morpheus Music Interview - Carylann Loeppky". Morpheus Music (Interview). Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Carylann Loeppky at AllMusic. Retrieved 17 October 2014.