Big Comic Original
Big Comic Original (ビッグコミックオリジナル Biggu Komikku Orijinaru) is a Japanese seinen manga magazine published by Shogakukan, aimed at an older adult and mostly male audience. It is a sister magazine to Big Comic, the biggest difference being that it goes on sale twice a month in the weeks Big Comic doesn't. Cover artwork usually features a dog or cat, and a haiku. The dozen or so manga serials running at any given time feature a wide variety of material, from historical dramas and suspense to sports and romance, with relatively little science fiction or fantasy.
Big Comic Original 2007 Issue 2.5
|Frequency||Semimonthly on the 5th and 20th|
Launched in 1972, it has published over 1000 issues, typically running to about 350 pages in a black-and-white, saddle-stapled format, selling for 340 yen (2015). More than 83% of readers are reported to be over 30 years old, with female readers comprising about a quarter of the total. Most readers are company employees. Circulation in 2015 was reported at 539,500.
Notable manga artists and seriesEdit
- Mitsuru Adachi
- George Akiyama
- Nobuyuki Fukumoto
- Yoshiie Gouda
- Mitsuo Hashimoto
- Kenshi Hirokane and Masao Yajima
- Shin'ichi Ishizuka
- Hideo Iura
- Eiji Kazama and Nobuhiro Sakata
- Kaze no Daichi (ongoing)
- Kenichi Kitami and Jūzō Yamasaki
- Tsuribaka Nisshi (ongoing)
- Kō Kojima
- Hige to Boin (1974-2004)
- Shinji Mizushima
- Abu-san (1973-2014)
- Motoka Murakami
- Ryuu – Ron (1991–2006)
- Jiro Taniguchi
- Guardians of the Louvre (2014)
- Naoki Urasawa
- Takatoshi Yamada
- Jason Thompson (2007). Manga: The Complete Guide. Del Rey Books. p. 327-239. ISBN 978-0-345-48590-8.
- "Men's Manga" (in Japanese). Japanese Magazine Publishers Association. September 2016. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- Frederik L. Schodt (1996). Dreamland Japan: writings on modern manga. Stone Bridge Press. p. 97. ISBN 1-880656-23-X.
- Clements, Jonathan. "Manga Snapshot: Big Comic Original." NEO, Jan. 2011, p. 24-25.
- Japan Magazine Publishers Association Magazine Data June 2015. Retrieved Oct. 28, 2015.
- Big Comic Original Official Website (in Japanese)
- Big Comic Original at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
|This article about an anime or manga magazine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.