This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bidhannagar College in Bidhannagar (Salt Lake), Kolkata, established on 25th June, 1984, is a West Bengal State University affiliated college run by the Government of West Bengal. It was formerly affiliated to the University of Calcutta. Apart from undergraduate courses, the college offers postgraduate courses in Anthropology, Botany, Chemistry, Education, Microbiology and Zoology.
|Principal||Dr. Madhumita Manna|
EB-2, Sector-I, Bidhannagar, Kolkata,
Bidhannagar College started on 25 June 1984 in a small building at BF-142, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700064 with a student strength of 52. The founder principal was Dr. Subes Chandra Sarkar. Undergraduate courses in Mathematics and Economics began from the day of opening, while the Physics and Chemistry departments became functional from the academic session of 1985–86. Honours subjects offered in the Humanities were English, Bengali, History, Political Science and Philosophy. Honours courses in Anthropology, Botany and Microbiology opened during the 2002–2003 session. M.Sc. courses in Zoology and Microbiology started in 2004. In 2009 Department of Education started their journey.
With the gradual increase in the number of departments and the corresponding student strength, the original building became inadequate. A new, larger building at EB 2, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700064 was constructed on 7.5 acres (30,000 m2).
The present building, located on 7.5 acres (30,000 m2) of prime real estate, is a three-storey structure with front gardens and a playground for students. A new annex is currently under construction, to which the Humanities and Social Science departments and the Library shall be moved.
The College offers 3-year Honors degrees in Humanities and Science courses, and postgraduate courses in Chemistry, Zoology and Microbiology. The college is likely to offer postgraduate course in Education from 2017-18.
Department of EducationEdit
The Department of Education in Bidhannagar College was established in 2008. The Department offers Undergraduate Honours Course on the basis of Annual Based Credit system. The Department provides the infrastructural facilities such as Departmental Library, Common seminar Library Room, three Computers with Printer and one common classroom with ICT facilities. The number of sanctioned teaching posts is six in number. At present there are 5 permanent faculty members and one Part time Teacher.
- Dr. Shoumyasree Sen, Associate Professor, HOD, M.A, Ph.D
- Purnandu Acharya, Associate Professor, M.A
- Sahanowas Sk, Assistant Professor, M.A, B.Ed, M.Phil
- Priyanka Dutta, Assistant Professor, M.A, B.Ed, M.Phil
- Shikha Roy, Assistant Professor, M.A, B.Ed, M.Phil
- Zeba Jahan, Part-time Faculty, M.A, B.Ed, M.Phil
- "Affiliated College of West Bengal State University". Archived from the original on 29 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) wbsubcollegeinfo.org. Retrieved 30 December 2012
- Bidhannagar College Prospectus, 2007, published by the Principal, Bidhannagar College
- indiaeducation.ernet.in Archived 7 January 2005 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 4 June 2007