Bhupesh Baghel (born 23 August 1961) is an Indian politician serving as the third and current Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh. He is a member of Indian National Congress  and the ex-President of Chhattisgarh Pradesh Congress Committee. Baghel started his political career from Indian Youth Congress from 1990, and became member of All India Congress Committee. He has been member of legislative assembly multiple times from Patan, elected first in 1993. He had been cabinet minister in Undivided Madhya Pradesh under Digvijaya singh government in late nineties. When Chhattisgarh was formed, he was the first Minister for Revenue, Public Health Engineering and Relief Work till 2003 Under Ajit Jogi government.
|3rd Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh|
|Assumed office |
17 December 2018
|Preceded by||Raman Singh|
|Member of Legislative Assembly for Patan|
|Assumed office |
8 December 2013
|Preceded by||Vijay Baghel|
1993 – 2008
|Preceded by||Kailash Chandra Sharma|
|Succeeded by||Vijay Baghel|
|Born||23 August 1961|
Durg, Madhya Pradesh, India
(now in Chhattisgarh, India)
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Beginning and riseEdit
Bhupesh Baghel started his political career from Indian Youth Congress and became member of All India Congress Committee, he was also the General Secretary, and Program Coordinator of Pradesh Congress Committee. He was elected to Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly in 1993 for the first time from Patan, and was later elected multiple times from same seat.
Baghel was appointed as Minister of State, Chief Minister related, Public Grievances Redressal (Independent Charge), M.P. Governance in Digvijay Singh’s cabinet in December 1998 and became Minister of Transport in December 1999.
After the state of Chhattisgarh was formed in November 2000, he became member of Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly, and appointed as Minister, Revenue Rehabilitation, Relief Work, Public Health Mechanics under CG Governance. He again became MLA in 2003 state election from same seat. He lost the Patan assembly seat in 2008 elections. He also lost Parliamentary elections in 2009 from Raipur .
He again won Patan Vidhan Sabha seat in 2013 election, and became Member of Working Committee, Chhattisgarh Assembly. In 2014-15, he became Member of Public Accounts Committee, CG Government.
President of Chhattisgarh CongressEdit
He was President of state unit of Indian National Congress since October 2014 till June 2019. After the state's top Congress leaders like Mahendra Karma, Vidya Charan Shukla, Nand Kumar Patel and 28 others were killed in the 2013 Naxal attack in Darbha valley, Baghel played a very important role in reviving the party in the state. He managed to sideline ex-Chief Minister Ajit Jogi and his son Amit Jogi in state congress after Antagarh Assembly by-election audio tape row.
Under his presidency Chhattisgarh Congress won the 2018 Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly election by a thumping majority. He himself became MLA from Patan assembly seat again and became Chief Minister of the state. He took oath as chief minister on 17 December 2018. He was replaced by Kondagaon MLA Mohan Markam as PCC President in June 2019.
Chief Minister of the ChhattisgarhEdit
Baghel fulfilled two major poll promises farm loan waiver and raising paddy support price by 50% in relatively quicker way, the order letter was released dramatically, within hours of oath taking ceremony, though actual money transfer to farmers took days, weeks and months in some cases. Tendu patta collection prices were increased.Government took a major step away from shiksha-karmi (temporary teacher) policy and vacancy for posts of 15,000 permanent teachers was announced.
- "Official Website of Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly". www.cgvidhansabha.gov.in.
- ADR. "Bhupesh Baghel(Indian National Congress(INC)):Constituency- PATAN(DURG) - Affidavit Information of Candidate:". myneta.info.
- Desk, The Hindu Net (16 December 2018). "Who is Bhupesh Baghel?". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "Home". iyc.in.
- "Indian Youth Congress Durg." www.facebook.com.
- reserved, Copyright © 2008 V 3 Technologies All rights. "Raipur election results for Raipur Parliamentary constituency". www.travelindia-guide.com.
- "Bhupesh Baghel MLA of PATAN Chhattisgarh contact address & email".
- "CG State assembly election 2018". news18.com.
- "झीरम घाटी में हुई थी 31 कांग्रेसी नेताओं की बर्बर हत्या, जानिए उस खौफनाक दिन से जुड़ी सारी बातें". www.patrika.com.
- "How New Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel Helped Congress Rise From Ashes After 2013 Naxal Attack". News18. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "congress-expels-amit-jogi". The Hindu Business Line.
- "Jogi-junior-faces-expulsion". Indian Express.
- "CG State assembly election 2018". financialexpress.com.
- Raipur, Rahul Noronha (12 July 2019). "All Power to the Tribe". India Today. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "mohan-markam-made-chhattisgarh-congress-chief". The Hindu.
- "Baghel waives farmers' loan in Chhattisgarh". Deccan Herald. 27 December 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- 5 April, Rahul Noronha New Delhi; April 15, 2019 ISSUE DATE:; April 5, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 14:50. "A Winning Hand | Chhattisgarh". India Today. Retrieved 27 April 2019.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Congress Governments in MP, Chhattisgarh Announce Farm Loan Waivers on Day 1". The Wire. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Dantewada Naxal Attack LIVE: CM chairs high-level meet; directs forces to respond to Naxals". The Indian Express. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "The slogan organized in the conference- how the leader of the country, like Nitish Kumar".
Dr. Raman Singh
| Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
17 December 2018 - Present