The Bhopal–Nagpur section is a railway line connecting Bhopal and Nagpur. This 390 km (242 mi) track is part of the Delhi–Chennai line. The section is under the jurisdiction of West Central Railway and Central Railway.
Bhopal Junction an Important railway station at Bhopal–Nagpur section
|Operator(s)||West Central Railway, Central Railway|
|Rolling stock||WDM-2, WDM-3A, WDM-3D, WDS-6 and WDP-4 diesel locos. WAM-4, WAP-4, WAP-7 and WAG-5 electric locos.|
|Track length||390 km (242 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2/3|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gauge|
|Operating speed||up to 160 km/h|
The Bhopal–Itarsi line was opened by the Begum of Bhopal in 1884. Itarsi was linked with Nagpur between 1923 and 1924. The Bhopal–itarsi-Nagpur line became part of the Delhi–Chennai line in 1929.
The Bhopal–Itarsi sector was electrified in 1988–89 and the Nagpur–Itarsi sector in 1990–91.
The Delhi–Chennai Central line (Grand Trunk route) is classified as a "Group A" line which can take speeds up to 160 km/h.
Loco sheds and workshopsEdit
Itarsi diesel shed holds 145+ locos. It has WDM-2, WDM-3A, WDM-3D, WDS-6 and WDP-4 diesel locos. This shed serves routes all across central India. Itarsi electric loco shed came up in the 1980s. It holds WAM-4, WAP-4 and WAG-5 electric locos. Its WAG-5 locos perform banking duties on the Budni–Barkhera Ghat section. There are also ghat sections between Teegaon–Chinchoda and Dharakhoh–Maramjhiri In Bhopal–Nagpur section where bankers are attached to trains. Broad Gauge Coach Workshop at Bhopal handles rebuilding and overhaul of old passenger coaches. There is a coach maintenance workshop at Nagpur.
- "Jhansi Itarsi Passenger 51828". India Rail Info.
- "Itarsi Nagpur Passenger 51830". India Rail Info.
- "IR History: Early Days – II". Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1870–1899). Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Introduction". Nagpur Itarsi Route. Nagpur district authorities. Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "IR History: Early Days – III". Chronology of railways in India, Part 3 (1900–1947). Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Chapter II – The Maintenance of Permanent Way". Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Sheds and Workshops". IRFCA. Retrieved 22 November 2013.