Bezymianny (Russian: Безымянный Bezymyannyyi, meaning unnamed) is an active stratovolcano in Kamchatka, Russia. Bezymianny volcano had been considered extinct until 1955. Activity started in 1955, culminating in a dramatic eruption on 30 March 1956. This eruption, similar to that of Mount St. Helens in 1980, produced a large horseshoe-shaped crater that was formed by collapse of the summit and an associated lateral blast. Subsequent episodic but ongoing lava dome growth, accompanied by intermittent explosive activity and pyroclastic flows, has largely filled the 1956 crater. The most recent eruption of lava flows occurred in February 2013. An explosive eruption on 20 December 2017 released an ash plume rising to a height of 15 kilometres (49,000 ft) above sea level, which drifted for 320 kilometres (200 mi) NE.
Kamchatka volcanoes: Klyuchevskaya Sopka (up), Bezymianny (down), both in activity, and the Kamen (middle).
|Elevation||2,882 m (9,455 ft) |
|Native name||Безымянный (Russian)|
|Parent range||Eastern Range|
|Age of rock||4700 years old|
|Volcanic field||Kliuchevskoya Volcanic Group|
The modern Bezymianny volcano, much smaller than its massive neighbors Kamen and Kliuchevskoi, was formed about 4700 years ago over a late-Pleistocene lava-dome complex and an ancestral volcano that was built between about 11,000–7000 years ago. There have been three periods of intensified activity in the past 3000 years.
- "Bezymianny". www.volcanodiscovery.com. Volcano Discovery.
- Gorshkov, G. S. (December 1959). "Gigantic eruption of the volcano bezymianny". Bulletin Volcanologique. 20 (1): 77–109. doi:10.1007/BF02596572. S2CID 129408765.
- Kirianov, Vladimir Yu. (1994) Volcanic Ash in Kamchatka as a Source of Potential Hazard to Air Traffic in Casadevall, Thomas J. (editor) Volcanic ash and aviation safety; proceedings of the First international symposium on Volcanic ash and aviation safety, USGS Bulletin 2047, page 60. https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/2047/report.pdf
- "VONA/KVERT Weekly Information Release 05-2013 - Kamchatkan and Northern Kuriles Volcanic Activity - January 31, 2013, 23:31 UTC (February 01, 2013, 11:31 KST)". Kamchatka Volcanic Eruption Response Team. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Global Volcanism Program, 2017. Report on Bezymianny (Russia). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 20 December-26 December 2017. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
- NASA - Activity at Kliuchevskoi
- "Bezymianny". Global Volcanism Program. Smithsonian Institution.
- Bezymianny Volcano live webcam
- Holocene Volcanoes in Kamchatka / Bezymianny
- Google Maps satellite image
- Information about Bezymyanny (in Russian)
- For its eruptive history, go to http://www.volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=300250 and click on its tab marked "Eruptive History".
|This Kamchatka Krai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|