Beyond Meat is a Los Angeles-based producer of plant-based meat substitutes founded in 2009 by Ethan Brown. The company's initial products became available across the United States in 2012. The company has products designed to simulate chicken, beef, and pork sausage.
|Traded as||NASDAQ: BYND|
El Segundo, California, U.S.
|Revenue||US$33 million (2017), 87.9 million 2018|
Number of employees
|400 (June 29, 2019)|
- 1 History
- 2 Products
- 3 Restaurant partnerships
- 4 International availability
- 5 Sustainability
- 6 Technology
- 7 Other
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The company was founded as a California-based startup by Ethan Brown in 2009. The company has received venture funding from GreatPoint Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Obvious Corporation, Bill Gates, Biz Stone, the Humane Society and Tyson Foods. The company began selling its plant-based chicken products in Whole Foods supermarkets across the US in April 2013. In 2014, it developed a simulated beef product.
In June 2018, Beyond Meat opened its second production facility in Columbia, Missouri, resulting in a three-fold increase of the company's manufacturing space. The company also claimed to have 27,000 different points of distribution for their products in the United States. In July, the company was rolling out their products to 50 international markets, partnering with Tesco in the UK and Tim Hortons and A&W in Canada. In July 2019, Dunkin' Donuts announced that they would begin selling breakfast sandwiches using the Meatless Sausage product in Manhattan, with plans for national distribution beginning on November 6, 2019.
As of July 2019, Beyond Meat had a market value of US$11.7 billion, following a value of $3.8 billion on the day of its initial public offering, May 2, 2019. Beyond Meat trades on the United States NASDAQ exchange under the symbol, BYND.
The company develops and manufactures a variety of protein-based food products. The vegan meat substitutes are made from mixtures of pea protein isolates, rice protein, mung bean protein, canola oil, coconut oil, and other ingredients like potato starch, apple extract, sunflower lecithin, and pomegranate powder with a range of vitamins and minerals. Beef products that "bleed" are achieved by using red beet juice.
The ingredients are mixed and fed into a food extrusion machine that cooks the mixture while forcing it through a specially designed mechanism that uses steam, pressure, and cold water to form the product's chicken-like texture.
As of 2014[update], the company's product offerings consisted of Beyond Chicken and Beyond Beef. The company's two flavours of imitation ground beef product are made from pea proteins, canola oil, and various seasonings.The company announced in 2014 that it had begun development and testing of a new product called "The Beast". The vegetable protein-based burger patties were taste tested by the New York Mets during a pregame event.
The soy-free vegan burger patties branded as "The Beast" were released in February 2015. The Beast Burger contained 23 grams of protein and has micronutrients added during manufacturing.
In December 2017, the company announced a vegan alternative to pork sausage called "Beyond Sausage". The three varieties of "sausage" were called Bratwurst, Hot Italian, and Sweet Italian. As of July 2019, the company was producing plant-based products for burgers, beef, beef crumbles, and sausage.
In July 2018, A&W (Canada) added a burger featuring Beyond Meat’s Beyond Burger to menus across Canada. In March 2019, A&W Canada launched a new breakfast roll containing Beyond Breakfast Sausage.
Carl’s Jr. launched the Beyond Famous Star featuring a Beyond Burger in December 2018. In October 2019, Carl’s Jr. introduced the Beyond BBQ Cheeseburger to menus nationwide. In December 2019, Carl's Jr. introduced Beyond Breakfast Sausage with a Beyond Sausage Burrito and Beyond Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit to all locations. 
Del Taco debuted a Beyond Meat taco, first testing across Southern California in December 2018 and launched nationally in April 2019. Del Taco added an Epic Beyond Cali Burrito and a Beyond 8-Layer Burrito in June 2019.
In July 2019, Beyond Meat introduced Beyond Breakfast Sausage to the U.S. at 163 Dunkin' restaurants in Manhattan. In November 2019 Dunkin’ made the Beyond Sausage Sandwich available nationwide.
Hardee's began testing Beyond Meat at breakfast, lunch and dinner in October 2019. The Original Beyond Thickburger featuring a Beyond Burger patty and the Beyond Sausage Biscuit featuring Beyond Breakfast Sausage were available at participating locations in Raleigh and Kansas City. In December 2019, Hardee's announced a nationwide expansion, offering a Beyond Sausage Burrito, Beyond Sausage Biscuit, Beyond Sausage & Egg Biscuit with Beyond Breakfast Sausage and the Original Beyond Thickburger with a Beyond Burger patty. 
In August 2019, a KFC restaurant in Atlanta, tested Beyond Fried Chicken as a menu option. The product sold out in five hours, and outsold a typical week of popcorn chicken sales. A tweet by KFC after the product had sold out described it as a "Kentucky Fried Miracle".
In September 2019, McDonald's Canada announced it would start testing a P.L.T. burger made with a Beyond Meat patty at 28 locations in Southwestern Ontario due to customers’ growing interest in plant-based options. 
In August 2019, Subway said it would roll out a Beyond Meatball Marinara sub at 685 locations in the U.S and Canada starting in September 2019. The Beyond Meatball sub is a variation on Subway’s classic sandwich with plant-based Beyond Meatballs, made exclusively for Subway.
Canadian fast-food chain Tim Hortons announced in May 2019 that it would be testing Beyond Meat’s breakfast sausage in three breakfast sandwiches in select locations. By June 2019, Tim Hortons extended the test to all 4,000 locations across Canada. In July 2019, Tim Hortons offered two new burgers featuring Beyond Burger patties. In September 2019, Tim Hortons removed Beyond Meat products from its restaurants outside of British Columbia and Ontario. On January 28 Tim Horton's removed Beyond Meat products from the two remaining provinces due to unsatisfactory sales.
Beyond Meat is available in 50 countries including Australia, the UK, Canada, Chile, Germany, Israel, Korea, Mexico, South Africa, Taiwan, and the United Arab Emirates. The company announced plans for further international expansion in 2020.
The Beyond Burger is available in several Canadian retail chains including Save-On-Foods, Metro, Loblaws and Whole Foods. Quick service restaurants such as McDonald's Canada, Tim Hortons and A&W Canada also serve up the Beyond Burger nationwide. In December 2019, Beyond Beef arrived in Canada, which became the first country to offer the plant-based ground beef.
In November 2018, Beyond Meat brought the Beyond Burger to the United Kingdom at retail chain Tesco and restaurants Honest Burger and All Bar One. At Tesco, a pack of two burgers costs £5.50. In September 2019, Beyond Sausage launched at more than 450 Tesco stores and Lewis Hamilton's plant-based food chain Neat Burger. At Tesco, a pack of two sausage links costs £4.95.
In May 2019, the Beyond Burger arrived in Germany at Lidl’s 3,200 stores, selling out in a few hours during the initial launch. In July 2019, METRO Cash & Carry became the first wholesales on the European continent to offer Beyond Sausage.
According to a life cycle assessment (LCA) of the Beyond Burger from the University of Michigan, the Beyond Burger generates 90% less greenhouse gas emissions, requires 46% less energy, has >99% less impact on water scarcity and 93% less impact on land use than a ¼ pound of U.S. beef. 
In September 2018, Beyond Meat received a 2018 Environment Champion of the Earth Award from the United Nations. This sought to recognize the company’s sustainability efforts beyond the product such as swapping plastic packaging trays to compostable tray for use in their Beyond Sausage. 
In July 2018, Beyond Meat opened a new R&D lab in El Segundo, California. The 26,000-square foot facility is an investment toward building plant-based meat.  The research & development center houses nearly 100 employees who work in eight distinct labs. 
Also in July 2018, Beyond Meat obtained non-GMO certification through The Non-GMO Project. The third-party organization conducted a one-year review of the brand to ensure that all ingredients, suppliers and manufacturing facilities are free of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). 
Beyond Meat uses technology to take plant materials and run them through a system of heating, cooling, pressure and mixing to build meat directly from plants. 
In March 2019, a civil suit was filed against Beyond Meat by its former business partner, Don Lee Farms, after Beyond Meat switched to using different suppliers for its products. Don Lee Farms alleged breach of contract, and further alleged that they had expressed "significant concerns" about food safety protocols at Beyond Meat's facility.
In June 2019, the New Zealand restaurant Hell Pizza used the company's product for a "burger pizza" without disclosing that its "medium-rare burger patty" was not meat. The local Ministry for Primary Industries launched an investigation after several complaints, and concluded that the product description did not meet the food standards code, but declined to take formal action against the company.
- Aaron Back (May 7, 2019). "Beyond Meat Has Lessons to Serve Up". Heard on the Street. Wall Street Journal. p. B1.
- Jacobsen, Rowan (2014-12-26). "This Top-Secret Food Will Change the Way You Eat". outsideonline.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Flanagan, Graham (7 July 2014). "This Fake Meat Is So Good It Fooled Whole Foods Customers For 3 Days". Business Insider. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Strickland, Julie (May 7, 2013). "Fake Meat for the Masses?". Inc. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Wellesley, Laura (10 May 2019). "The vegetarian 'meat' aimed at replacing the real thing". Chatham House. BBC. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- Marc Gunther (Oct 3, 2013). "Beyond Meat closes in on the perfect fake chicken, turns heads, tastebuds". Fortune. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Darrell Etherington (May 7, 2013). "We're 80% of the way to fake meat that's indistinguishable from the real thing". TechCrunch. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Where's the beef? Not in these new plant-based burgers". USA TODAY.
- "Tyson Foods Invests in Beyond Meat". 10 October 2016.
- Farhad Manjoo (Jul 2012). "Fake Meat So Good it Will Freak You Out". Slate. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Alton Brown (Sep 2013). "Tastes Like Chicken". Wired. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Lulu Chang (Feb 7, 2014). "Meet the man behind "Beyond Meat" plant-based protein substitute". cbsnews. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Jane Black (Feb 2, 2014). "43. Beyond Meat". Fast Company. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Strom, Stephanie (10 October 2016). "Tyson Foods, a Meat Leader, Invests in Protein Alternatives". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Tyson sells stake in plant-based meat maker Beyond Meat". Reuters. April 24, 2019. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Watson, Elaine (29 June 2018). "Beyond Meat triples manufacturing footprint". foodnavigator-usa.com. William Reed Business Media. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Beyond Meat expands its Missouri production facility". meatpoultry.com. meatpoultry.com. 29 June 2018. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Beyond Meat®". Tim Hortons. Retrieved Aug 26, 2019.
- Starostinetskaya, Anna (2 July 2018). "Beyond Meat Triples Production to Keep Up with Demand". VegNews. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- Genovese, Daniella (2019-10-21). "Dunkin' announces nationwide rollout of Beyond Sausage Sandwich". FOXBusiness. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Business, Danielle Wiener-Bronner, CNN. "Dunkin' is launching a breakfast sandwich with Beyond Meat sausage". CNN. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- "Summary for Beyond Meat, Inc., BYND". Yahoo Finance. 30 July 2019. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- "Beyond Meat Just Had the Best IPO of 2019 as Value Soars to $3.8 Billion". Fortune. 2019-05-02. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Beyond Burger, FAQ, Beyond Meat, Inc". Beyond Meat, Inc. 2019. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- Root, Al. "Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods Could Be the Coke and Pepsi of Alternative Meat". Barrons.com.
- Stephanie Strom (April 2, 2014). "Fake Meats, Finally, Taste Like Chicken". New York Times. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Harris, Sophia. "Beyond Meat says its burgers are healthier than beef, health experts aren't so sure". CBC. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- Capritto, Amanda. "Impossible Burger vs Beyond Meat Burger, Taste, Ingredients and availability compared". CNET. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- Jacob Barker (Aug 7, 2012). "Chicken substitute to be made in Columbia". Columbia Tribune. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Sarah Nassauer (June 25, 2014). "Meatless Burgers Make Their MLB Pitch". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Beyond Meat Pitching Beast Burger to Big Leagues". VegNews. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Haber, Matt (April 9, 2015). "How Long Before Silicon Valley Can Produce Fake Meat That Tastes Like Real Meat?". New York Magazine. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- Angle, Sara and Rachel Schultz (February 13, 2015). "Beyond Meat's High-Protein Veggie Burger Is the Best Thing to Ever Happen to Vegans". Shape Magazine. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- Joiner, James (January 15, 2015). "The Veggie Burgers With Meaty Ambition". The Daily Beast. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- Kowitt, Beth (18 December 2017). "Food Tech Startup Beyond Meat Is Rolling Out a Plant-Based Sausage". Fortune. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Minton, Melissa (18 December 2017). "Beyond Meat Debuts First Plant-Based Sausage in Three Flavors". Bon Appetit. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "Products, Beyond Meat, Inc". Beyond Meat, Inc. 2019. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- Starostinetskaya, Anna. "A&W adds vegan Beyond Burger to 925 locations". vegnews.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Chiorando, Maria. "Beyond Meat Breakfast Sausage Now Available At A&W". plantbasednews.org. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Leggate, James (2019-08-14). "Beyond Meat burger such a hit at Carl's Jr., the fast-food chain is doing this". foxbusiness.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Garcia, Tonya. "Carl's Jr. adds more Beyond Meat to the menu". marketwatch.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Salaky, Kristin (2019-12-18). "Carl's Jr. and Hardee's are adding a ton of Beyond Meat Menu Items You Can Order All Day Long". delish.com. Retrieved 2019-12-20.
- Buck, Fielding (2018-12-12). "Del Taco will begin testing Beyond Meat throughout Southern California on Thursday, Dec. 13". ocregister. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Del Taco Launches Beyond Meat Tacos Nationwide". qsrmagazine.com. 2019-04-16. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Starostinetskaya, Anna. "Del Taco debuts epic Beyond Burritos stuffed with Crinkle Cut Fries". vegnews.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Shankertitle, Deena. "Dunkin' Dishes Up Beyond Meat Faux Breakfast Sausage". fortune.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Lucas, Amelia. "Dunkin' accelerates nationwide launch of Beyond Meat". cnbc.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Hardee's to Test Beyond Meat at Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner". qsrmagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Hardee's Tests Beyond Meat Burger and Beyond Meat Sausage". brandeating.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Garrison, Cianna. "These Carl's Jr. & Hardee's Beyond Meat All-Day Menus Include Breakfast Burritos". elitedaily.com. Retrieved 2019-12-20.
- Taylor, Derrick. "What Sandwich War? KFC Sells Out of Plant-Based 'Chicken' in Atlanta". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- Valinsky, Jordan. "The Beyond Meat burger is coming to McDonald's in a Canadian test". cnn.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Taylor, Kate. "Subway is jumping on the faux-meat bandwagon with a Beyond Meat meatball sub". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Valinsky, Jordan. "Tim Hortons is adding Beyond Meat sausages to its menu". cnn.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Tim Hortons strikes deal with Beyond Meat to offer plant-based breakfast sandwiches". cbc.ca. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Bugga, Hannah. "Canadian Chain Tim Hortons Adds New Beyond Meat Burgers to Menu". chooseveg.com. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Tim Hortons pulls Beyond Meat products from Canadian locations outside B.C., Ontario". cbc.ca. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Tim Hortons pulls Beyond Meat products from Ontario, British Columbia". reuters.com. Reuters. 28 January 2020. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- Weinberg, Sarah. "TGI Fridays Just Launched A Veggie Burger That "Bleeds" Like Meat". delish.com. Retrieved 2019-12-07.
- Capritto, Amanda. "Where to get the Beyond Burger: TGI Friday's, Hardee's, Subway, Dunkin' and more". cnet.com. Retrieved 2019-12-07.
- "Beyond Meat Going Beyond the US — To 50+ Countries!". cok.net. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Gao, Rebecca. "Where Can I Buy Beyond Meat Products In Canada?". chatelaine.com. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Genoves, Daniella. "Beyond Meat serves Canada with Beyond Beef". foxbusiness.com. Retrieved 2019-12-11.
- Smithers, Rebecca. "'Bleeding' vegan burger arrives on UK supermarket shelves". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Gilliver, Liam. "Lewis Hamilton's Plant-Based Food Chain Adds Beyond Sausage To Its Menu". plantbasednews. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Wolff-Mann, Ethan. "Beyond Meat is learning a big lesson in Germany". yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- "METRO Germany Stores to Offer Beyond Sausage on a Permanent Basis". vegconomist.com. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- Naidu, Richa. "Exclusive: Beyond Meat eyes production in Asia before the end of 2020". reuters.com. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- C. Heller, Martin; A. Keoleian, Gregory. "Beyond Meat's Beyond Burger Life Cycle Assessment". umich.edu. Retrieved 2019-12-11.
- Fox, Katrina. "This Vegan Brand Just Proved That Plant-Based Burgers Are More Sustainable Than Those Made Of Beef". forbes.com. Retrieved 2019-12-11.
- Raphael, Rina. "Inside Beyond Meat's innovative future food lab". fastcompany.com. Retrieved 2019-12-16.
- Pomranz, Mike. "Beyond Meat's Massive New Lab Sounds Like Something Out of a Sci-Fi Novel". foodandwine.com. Retrieved 2019-12-16.
- Starostinetskaya, Anna. "Beyond Meat Obtains Non-GMO Certification". vegnews.com. Retrieved 2019-12-16.
- Lamb, Catherine. "In Earnings Call, Beyond Meat Claps Back Against Critiques that It's Too Processed". thespoon.tech. Retrieved 2019-12-16.
- Beyond Meat Sued by Former Partner Don Lee Farms, Specialty Food News 03/11/2019, accessed April 25, 2019
- Hell Pizza escapes formal action over Beyond Meat stunt
- Media related to Beyond Meat at Wikimedia Commons