Bethany Lee McLean (born December 12, 1970) is an American journalist and contributing editor for Vanity Fair magazine. She is known for her writing on the Enron scandal and the 2008 financial crisis. Previous assignments include editor-at-large, columnist for Fortune and a contributor to Slate.
McLean in 2015
|Born||December 12, 1970|
Hibbing, Minnesota, U.S.
|Known for||"Is Enron Overpriced?"|
|All the Devils Are Here|
|Spouse(s)||Chris Wilford (m. 2000, d.2006)
Sean M. Berkowitz (m. 2008)
Early life and educationEdit
McLean started her career as an investment banking analyst for Goldman Sachs and joined Vanity Fair as a contributing editor in 2008. She began as a contributor to "Slate's" Moneybox column, in 2010 and "The Bulldog" column in "Fortune".
She authored an article on Enron for the March 5, 2001 issue of Fortune entitled, "Is Enron Overpriced?". She co-authored the book The Smartest Guys in the Room, which detailed the corrupt business practices of Enron officials. The book was later made into the Academy Award-nominated documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.
She co-authored a book on the 2008 financial crisis titled All the Devils Are Here.
In September 2015, she published Shaky Ground: The Strange Saga of the U.S. Mortgage Giants which examines the governance and financial situation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac seven years after the 2008 financial crisis.
- Bethany McLean; Peter Elkind (2004). The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron. Penguin.
- Bethany McLean; Joe Nocera (August 30, 2011). All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis. Penguin Publishing Group. ISBN 978-1-101-55105-9.
- Bethany McLean (September 14, 2015). Shaky Ground: The Strange Saga of the U.S. Mortgage Giants. Columbia Global Reports. ISBN 978-0-9909763-0-1.
- Bethany McLean (September 11, 2018). Saudi America: The Truth About Fracking and How It’s Changing the World. Columbia Global Reports. ISBN 978-0-9997454-4-1.
Essays and reportingEdit
- Burrough, Bryan & Bethany McLean (June 2013). "The hunt for Steve Cohen". Vanity Fair. 634: 76–83, 121–125.
- "What Working At Goldman Sachs Taught Legendary Business Journalist Bethany McLean". Business Insider. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "Is Enron Overpriced?". CNN. January 19, 2006. Archived from the original on October 18, 2010.
- Columbia Global Reports, "Financial System's Top Risk, Hiding in Plain Sight" (Press Release, September 14, 2015), Accessed September 16, 2015
- "U.S. mortgage giants under the microscope | Marketplace.org". www.marketplace.org. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
So they are part of the mysterious machinery that is an important component of most Americans lives, but you actually never think about it until things go wrong.
- "Enron tale author Bethany McLean has a new book she wrote from her Chicago home". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved March 11, 2016.