Bethany Baptist Church (Newark, New Jersey)
Bethany Baptist Church
|Location||275 W. Market Street, Newark, New Jersey|
|Area||0.2 acres (0.081 ha)|
|NRHP reference No.||88000466|
|Added to NRHP||May 10, 1989|
The church traces its origins to 1870, when a group of African Americans established the church on Broad Street in Newark, in the building of the Peddie Memorial Baptist Church. Under the leadership of the Reverend Ebenezer Bird, who had come from Virginia to lead the congregation of about 26 members, the group was officially sanctioned as a church by the Council of Baptist Churches in June 1871. Thus, the church prides itself as being the "first Baptist congregation founded by people of African descent."
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Essex County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. April 1, 2010. p. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 27, 2009. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "Our History . . . . ". Bethany Baptist Church. Archived from the original on February 11, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "Newark pastor leaves church with legacy of social justice, community outreach". NJ.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "History". Bethany Baptist Church. Retrieved April 19, 2016.