Bernard Hyland (Bernard Patrick Matthew Hyland, born 1937), known as Bernie Hyland, has a long career as an Australian botanist.
Bernard (Bernie) Patrick Matthew Hyland
|Known for||rainforest botany|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||B.Hyland|
|Scholia has a profile for Bernard Hyland (Q4893242).|
He has contributed significantly to the understanding of Australian plants, in particular numerous species of his home and workplace in the Wet Tropics of Queensland. His contributions include many activities; he has collected eighteen thousand specimens and has named and scientifically described hundreds of species. He has expertise in the Australian rainforests’ rich diversity of species of the plant families Lauraceae and Myrtaceae. For example, his Lauraceae 1989 major revision of seven genera of one hundred and fifteen species, and his rainforest Myrtaceae 1983 major revision of seventy species of the genus Syzygium and allied genera.
Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants information systemEdit
The most recent release is the 2020 8th edition, titled Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants Edition 8. This edition achieved the goal of making it freely available via the internet or via paid-for mobile apps for Android and iPhone. Both versions include fact sheets providing comprehensive descriptions for 2762 species, uses over 730 diagnostic features to make identifications, and contains around 14,000 images.
- West, Judy G. (2002). "Hyland, Bernard (Bernie) Patrick Matthew (1937 - )". Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria – Australian National Herbarium – Biography. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Elick, Rebel; West, Judy G. (2002). "Bernie Hyland retires" (PDF). Australasian Systematic Botany Society Newsletter. Australasian Systematic Botany Society Inc. 110 (March): 11–12. ISSN 1034-1218. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Hyland, Bernie P.M. (1989). "A revision of Lauraceae in Australia (excluding Cassytha)" (PDF). Australian Systematic Botany. 2 (2): 135–367. doi:10.1071/SB9890135.
- Hyland, Bernie P.M. (1983). "A revision of Syzygium and allied genera (Myrtaceae) in Australia". Australian Journal of Botany Supplementary Series. 13: 1–164. doi:10.1071/BT8309001 (inactive 31 October 2021). Retrieved 13 March 2013.CS1 maint: DOI inactive as of October 2021 (link)
- "About Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants". Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants. Centre for Australian National Biodiversity Research (CANBR), Australian Government. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "Online Keys to Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants". James Cook University. 21 December 2020. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
Airy Shaw, H. K. (1974). "Notes on Malesian and other Asiatic Euphorbiaceae: CLXXXVI. A new ostodoid genus from Queensland". Kew Bulletin. 29 (2): 329–331. doi:10.2307/4108542. JSTOR 4108542.
It gives me much pleasure to name the genus after Mr. Hyland, in appreciation of his cooperation in obtaining and forwarding material …
- "Hyland, Bernard Patrick Matthew (1937-)". Author Details. International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 13 March 2013.