Bernard Howard, 12th Duke of Norfolk
Bernard Edward Howard, 12th Duke of Norfolk, British peer.(21 November 1765 – 16 March 1842) was a
The Duke of Norfolk
Bernard Edward Howard
21 November 1765
|Died||16 March 1842(aged 76)|
Lady Elizabeth Belasyse
(m. 1789; div. 1794)
|Children||Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk|
Howard was the son of Henry Howard (1713–1787) by his wife Juliana Molyneux, daughter of Sir William Molyneux, 6th Baronet (died 1781), of Teversall, Nottinghamshire, High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire 1737.
An ardent Roman Catholic, like most of his family, he strongly supported Catholic Emancipation, and gave offence to his Protestant neighbours by giving a banquet to celebrate the passage of the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829. He was also known as the Grumpy Duke.
On 23 April 1789, he married Lady Elizabeth Belasyse (1770–1819), daughter of Henry Belasyse, 2nd Earl Fauconberg and the former Charlotte Lamb. Before the couple divorced five years later in May 1794, they were the parents of:
- Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk (1791–1856), who married Lady Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower (1788–1870), who was the eldest daughter of George Leveson-Gower, 1st Duke of Sutherland and Lady Elizabeth Sutherland, suo jure Countess of Sutherland (only daughter of William Sutherland, 18th Earl of Sutherland). She served as Lady of the Bedchamber from 1842 to 1843.
|Ancestors of Bernard Howard, 12th Duke of Norfolk|
- David R. Fisher. "Howard Molyneux Howard, Lord Henry Thomas (1766-1824), of Thornbury Castle, Glos". historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 9 January 2021.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
- "Norfolk, Duke of (E, 1483)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
|Peerage of England|
| Duke of Norfolk
| Baron Maltravers|
(descended by acceleration)