Bern Nadette Stanis
Bernnadette Stanis (born Bernadette Stanislaus, December 22, 1953) is an American actress and author. Stanis is best known for her role as Thelma Ann Evans–Anderson, the only daughter of Florida and James Evans Sr. on the CBS sitcom Good Times which originally ran from 1974 to 1979. Stanis is the author of four books: Situations 101: Relationships, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly; For Men Only; Situations 101: Finances; and The Last Night.
Bern Nadette Stanis
Stanis speaks to Cabrini-Green public housing residents in Chicago, April 2010.
December 22, 1953
|Other names||BernNadette Stanis|
|Known for||Thelma Evans – Good Times|
One of five children, Stanis was born and raised in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, New York City. She attended Erasmus Hall High School and later attended the Juilliard School. As a teen Stanis entered Miss Black America pageants, and went on to become Miss Brooklyn, a title with which she became first runner-up in the Miss New York state pageant.
Stanis played the role of Thelma Ann Evans on the CBS sitcom Good Times from February 1974 to August 1979. After the series ended, she made appearances on television shows including The Cosby Show and What's Happening Now!!. She and former co-star Jimmie Walker lent their voices to a radio spot for AT&T, and Stanis went on to do a Nationwide Insurance commercial. Stanis has been featured in promotions for the TV One network, and in a "Thelma" promotion that aired September 19, 2009, alongside actress Anna Maria Horsford in the "Battle of the Thelmas" that aired their weddings from their respective TV series. (Horsford portrayed "Thelma Frye" in the TV series Amen.) During the "Way Black Then" promotions in February 2010 in honor of Black History Month, she and Walker appeared on the program Color TV to share their memories and thoughts on Good Times. She later appeared on the TV One show Life After. In July 2016, Stanis appeared on an episode of Centric's Being, discussing her life and career.
Stanis has been married four times. Her first marriage was to high-school sweetheart Thomas Fauntleroy from June 1974 until 1978, then to Brooklyn nightclub owner Darnell Johnson in January 1979. Stanis' third marriage was to mechanical engineer Terrence Redd. Stanis gave birth to their daughter Dior Ravel circa April 1982. The couple later divorced. Her fourth husband is Kevin Fontana; an article in 2012 said they had been married 31 years, but other sources (cited above) state that Stanis was married to Redd circa 1981. Stanis also has a second child, daughter Brittany Rose.
|1974–1979||Good Times||Thelma Ann Evans–Anderson||133 episodes (as Bernnadette Stanis)|
|1980||The Love Boat||Janet Reeves||Episode: "Invisible Maniac/September Song/Peekaboo"|
|1985||What's Happening Now!!||Marcie||Episode: "Married or Not"|
|1987||Bustin' Loose||Ms. Fisher||Episode: "I Paint What I See"|
|1991||The Cosby Show||Carolyn Thompson||Episode: "Adventures in Babysitting"|
|1997||The Good News||Audrey||Episode: "The Baby on the Door Step"|
|The Wayans Bros.||Thelma Evans||Episode: "Unspoken Token"|
|1999||The Parent 'Hood||L'Tonya||Episode: "Mommy Dearest"|
|2003||Girlfriends||Herself||Episode: "Where Everyone Knows My Name"|
|2015||Black Jesus||Bernadette||Episodes: "Thy Neighbor's Strife", "Good for Nothing"|
|2000||Hidden Blessings||Jackson's Lawyer||TV movie|
|2004||Land of the Free?]'||Psychiatrist|
|Still 'Bout It||Aunt Tee Dee||Direct-to-video|
|2006||The Engagement: My Phamily BBQ 2||Mrs. Clark|
|2009||Caution! Heartache Ahead||Vera|
|The Adventures of Umbweki||Usahnisa|
|In the Midnight Hours||Cheryl|
|2015||36 Hour Layover||Nina's Mother||Alternative title: No Regrets|
- As spelled in the opening credits of Good Times. First name often spelled "BernNadette" in print sources.
- "'Remembering the Good Times' with Bernadette Stanis". Trendsetters to Trendsetters Magazine. Atlanta, Georgia: Trendsetters to Trendsetters Media Group, Inc. March 5, 2014. Archived from the original on February 19, 2015. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- "BernNadette Stanis: Overview". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on March 14, 2016.
Birth Name: Bernadette Stanislaus. Birth Place: Brooklyn, NY. Birthday: December 22, 1953
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-05. Retrieved 2016-03-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- “Thelma” Revealed An Extremely Painful Experience She Had With Her Mom - December 27, 2015
- "Bernadette Stanis Helps Alzheimer's Patients Remember the 'Good Times'". Archived from the original on October 12, 2016. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- Maniscalco, Joe (August 28, 2009). "Say hello to the real 'Thelma' - Bern Nadette Stanis". Brooklyn Daily (35). Community News Group. Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 23, 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link) Additional on December 23, 2016.
- Witbeck, Charles (May 30, 1975). "'Good Times' Teen No Longer Hiding". Boca Raton News. KFS.
- Markoutsas, Elaine (January 5, 1976). "Thelma Of 'Good Times' Moving Ahead". Toledo Blade. (originally published in Chicago Tribune, 28 December 1975)
- "Miss Black America Success Story: Bernadette Stanis". Miss Black America. January 22, 2015. Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved August 30, 2015. Additional on December 23, 2016.
- "The original 'It Girl' Thelma of 'Good Times,' featured on TV-One's 'Life After'". (interview) TheChocolateVoice.com. October 8, 2012. Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 23, 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link) Additional on December 23, 2016.
- Lucas, Bob (July 20, 1978). "Did Fame Wreck Marriage of TV's Good Times Star ? – BernNadette Stanis". Jet. pp. 21–22.
...she married Thomas Fauntleroy in June 1974. ... 'Faunt' (the nickname of the High-school sweetheart she married in June 1974)Stanis: "It's been about a year and a half [since the separation]."
- "Famous Marriages and Loves Lost". Jet. p. 52.
BernNadette Stanis (1979) to Darnell Johnson after divorcing Thomas Fauntleroy in 1978
- "BernNadette's Surprise Wedding". Jet. January 25, 1979. p. 58.
BernNadette Stanis was married to Darnell Johnson, owner of Darnell's nightclub in Brooklyn.... They met two months ago.
- Norment, Lynn (May 2000). "Stepmom Kathleen Bradley". Ebony.
...Terrence Reed, a mechanical engineer.... Redd has a 17-year-old daughter, Dior, [born circa 1983] by his earlier marriage to actress Bernadette [sic] Stanis, who portrayed Thelma on the TV show Good Times.
- "BernNadette Stanis Biography". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- "The Week's Best Photos > Momma's Baby". Jet. August 24, 1982.
...husband Terrence Redd. ... BerNadette [sic] shows off their four-month-old daughter, Dior.