This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2020)
Berchem-Sainte-Agathe (French, pronounced [bɛʁkɛm sɛ̃t aɡat]) or Sint-Agatha-Berchem (Dutch, pronounced [sɪnt aːˈɣaːtaː ˈbɛrxɛm] (listen)), often simply called Berchem, is one of the 19 municipalities of the Brussels-Capital Region, Belgium. Located in the north-western part of the region, it is bordered by Ganshoren, Koekelberg and Molenbeek-Saint-Jean, as well as the Flemish municipalities of Asse and Dilbeek. In common with all of Brussels' municipalities, it is legally bilingual (French–Dutch).
|Coordinates: 50°52′N 04°18′E / 50.867°N 4.300°ECoordinates: 50°52′N 04°18′E / 50.867°N 4.300°E|
|• Mayor||Christian Lamouline (LBR)|
|• Governing party/ies||LBR, PS-sp.a+, Ecolo-Groen|
|• Total||2.95 km2 (1.14 sq mi)|
|• Density||8,600/km2 (22,000/sq mi)|
|Website||berchem.brussels/fr (in French)|
berchem.brussels/nl (in Dutch)
As of 1 January 2022[update], the municipality had a population of 25,298. The total area is 2.95 km2 (1.14 sq mi), which gives a population density of 8,582/km2 (22,230/sq mi). The municipality is known for its calm and peaceful character. It is said that Berchem is a "village in the city".
In the Middle Ages, Berchem-Sainte-Agathe was a modest village on the edge of Brussels. In 1795, it received the status of an autonomous municipality. In 1841, it separated from neighbouring Koekelberg, and in 1954, it became a part of the Brussels-Capital Region.
Berchem-Sainte-Agathe has a rich cultural and architectural heritage. Some of the main points of interest include:
- The former Church of St. Agatha, an old 12th-century Romanesque church. Completely renovated from 1972 to 1974, it is now deconsecrated and used for cultural ceremonies and celebrations.
- The Villa Marie-Mirande, an Art Nouveau house by the architect Victor Tinant
- The Cité Moderne, a housing project designed and built from 1922 to 1925 by the modernist architect Victor Bourgeois
- David Lachterman (1934–1992), radio and television comedian and commentary expert
- Alexis Saelemaekers (b. 1999), football player who has played as a winger for R.S.C. Anderlecht and A.C. Milan
- Françoise Schepmans (b. 1960), politician and former mayor of Molenbeek, was born there.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme (b. 1960), actor and martial artist, was born there.
- Rudi Vervoort (b. 1958), politician and Minister-President of the Brussels-Capital Region, was born there.
- ^ "Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2020". Statbel.
- ^ a b "Berchem-Sainte-Agathe | IBSA". ibsa.brussels. Retrieved 18 October 2022.
- ^ "Berchem-Sainte-Agathe – Inventaire du patrimoine architectural". monument.heritage.brussels (in French). Retrieved 28 December 2021.
- ^ "Villa Marie-Mirande – Inventaire du patrimoine architectural". monument.heritage.brussels (in French). Retrieved 28 December 2021.
Media related to Berchem-Sainte-Agathe at Wikimedia Commons