Benue State University
Benue State University is a state-owned university in Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria. In 2006, student enrollment was over 19,000 served by 7 faculties, 23 departments. The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs with a catalog of over 58 graduate programs across 9 colleges/faculties. It is accredited by the National Universities Commission. The current Vice-chancellor of Benue State University is Professor Msugh Moses Kembe who took over from Professor Charity Angya on November 5, 2015.
Scientia Liberatio Populurum
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Tor Iorapuu|
|Affiliations||Benue State University Teaching Hospital|
The university was founded in 1992 and served 306 students with 149 faculty. The university was established by the state government to augment the specialized academic offerings of the University of Agriculture. In 1991, the state government formed a 13-member steering committee to plan for and obtain approval for the university. The university began offering classes for the 1992/1993 school year in four colleges: Arts, Education, Sciences, and Social Science.
Benue State University has eight faculties(college-level) units:
- College of Health Science
- Environmental Sciences
- Social Science
- Management Science
University Library and Information Services (ULIS)Edit
The university has Central Library Complex known as University Library and Information Services (ULIS) comprises units in the College of Health Sciences and the faculties of Arts, Education, Environmental Sciences, Law, Science and the Social Sciences. Other unit libraries serve the departments of Chemistry, Mass Communications. This library system commenced operation from make-shift quarters at the inception of BSU in 1992. An ultra-modern Central Library Complex, constructed with a grant from TETFund was commissioned by the Executive Governor of Benue State, His Excellency, Dr. Samuel Ortom on the 9th of August, 2016. With a sitting capacity of approximately 3,000, this building currently houses about 45,000 books and monographs and 3,000 journal titles in addition to subscription databases, open access resources and e-books database.
The University Library maintains a comprehensive selection of works by Nigerian authors. Archives of local and foreign conference reports are collected, as well as a selection of federal and state government gazettes and Benue State House proceedings.
The Law Library has a capacity for 96 student readers. In addition to local legal material, it holds reproductions of vital out-of-print legal reports and journals for research. The library has had difficulty obtaining foreign legal materials but does have a small section for collection.
The Opening Hours of the Central Library Complex are:
During the Term:
Monday -Friday 8 am -10 pm
Saturday -8 am - 2 pm
Sunday -3 pm - 6 pm
Monday -Friday 8 am-10 pm
Saturday-8 am- 1 pm
During Public Holidays:
The Library shall remain closed to readers on all officially declared Public Holidays.
OPENING HOURS OF THE FACULTY/DEPARTMENTAL LIBRARIES
Monday -Friday 8 am - 4 pm 
- "Vice Chancellor's Welcome". Benue State University. Retrieved 2010-09-15.[permanent dead link]
- "Students with carry-overs masterminded protest in BSU – VC". guardian.ng. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- Prof Msugh M Kembe Emerge New VC of Benue State University Archived February 15, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- "Brief History". Benue State University. Retrieved 2010-09-15.[permanent dead link]
- University Library and Information Services (26 May 2020). "University Library and Information Services(ULIS)" (PDF). Benue State University library.
- "University Library". Benue State University. Retrieved 2010-09-15.[permanent dead link]
- "Benue State University, Makurdi | Library Home". library.bsum.edu.ng. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Sports Unit". Benue State University. Archived from the original on 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Sports Unit". Benue State University. Retrieved 2010-09-15.[permanent dead link]