The Benny Award is the highest honour that can be bestowed to a New Zealand variety entertainer. It is presented annually by the Variety Artists Club of New Zealand, a non-for-profit organisation and showbusiness club, founded in 1966 and awarded to a variety performer who has achieved "A lifetime of excellence in their field of the performing arts".
|Awarded for||A lifetime of excellence in variety entertainment|
Nominations for the Benny Award are accepted from VAC members and the recipient ultimately decided upon by past Benny recipients, making its presentation recognition of the highest degree by the New Zealand entertainment industry.
The Benny Award was named after its first recipient, legendary New Zealand variety performer Edgar Benyon (1902–1978) in 1969. The Benny statuette was designed and sculptured by magician Jon Zealando and features Greek muses Melpomene and Thalia – the traditional symbols of comedy and tragedy.
- Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Website
- Video : Red Carpet TV at the 2018 Benny Awards
- Biographical Information about all Benny Winners
- 2011 Benny Awards television coverage
- Max Cryer MBE presents the 2006 Benny to Alan Watson
- Max Cryer MBE presents the 2009 Benny to Eddie Low
- Max Cryer MBE presents 2010 Benny to Gary Daverne ONZM
- "Friends on tour with country music lineup, Taranaki Daily News Online".
- "Amplifer News Story : Gary Daverne Benny Award". Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Voxy News – Eddie Low Honoured with Benny Award".
- "Jim Joll Biography".
- "Shen Yun Performing Arts Website, Gary Daverne".
- "VAC Website".
- "Suzanne Lynch Benny Award Article, Stuff.co.nz".
- "Eddie Low Benny Award, NZ Music News". Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Ray Columbus Biography".
- "Chic Littlewood Biography – NZOnScreen".
- "Edgar Benyon Biography, Encyclopedia of NZ Biography".
- "Benny Awards Page, VAC Website".
- "Auckland City Library Records – Benny Award".
- "New Zealand Music Commission, Columbus Biography".