Benenden Health (formerly The Post Office Sanatorium Society) is a mutual society in the UK providing private medical cover. Its membership consists of over 800,000 individuals and employees of corporate schemes provided by them. Benenden Health has been the shirt sponsor of York City Football Club since the 2012–13 season.
|Headquarters||York, United Kingdom|
|Bob Andrews, Chief Executive Officer|
|Products||hospital, health insurance, travel insurance, home insurance|
Number of employees
The Post Office Sanatorium Society was founded in 1905 to help working class Post Office employees control the tuberculosis epidemic when conventional medical insurance was not widely affordable. The business model of weekly member fees was proposed by a Post Office clerk, Charles Garland.
In 1923 the name became The Post Office and Civil Service Sanatorium Society, as the membership was opened to a new industry. In October 1990, the registered office moved from London to York. Ahead of its Time, a film about Benenden Health's history was made by Trafalgar Productions in 2011.
In June 2012, delegates at Benenden Health's annual conference in Manchester voted to remove restictions on membership. Also in June 2012, Benenden Health became shirt sponsor of York City Football Club.
In early 2018, the society rebranded as Benenden Health.
Benenden Hospital was founded in 1907 in Benenden, Kent as a location for tuberculosis treatment and became a centre for hospital treatment for members of Trade Unions and Friendly Societies and subsequently other public sector employees.
The hospital is used by local National Health Service agencies and patients who use private medical insurance or who pay directly for their own hospital care. It was rated outstanding by the Care Quality Commission in May 2017. 22% of its activity is now commissioned by the NHS, mostly orthopaedic, gynaecology and ophthalmology surgery for adults.
- "About Benenden". www.benenden.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Benenden Healthcare set to open doors to all". benenden.co.uk. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Benenden Healthcare to support Wembley winners York City FC in forthcoming season". benenden.co.uk. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Independent provider to NHS rated 'outstanding' by CQC". Health Service Journal. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Benenden: The History of The Benenden Healthcare Society 1905-2005, Bill McPate, 2006, William Sessions Limited, York.
- Caring for Generations: The Benenden Story 1905-2005, Sarah Smelik, 2005, Leeds Press Ltd, Leeds.
- Post Office & Civil Service Sanatorium Society: A History 1905-1980, Kingfisher-Kent, Tunbridge Wells.