Benedetto Luti (17 November 1666 – 17 June 1724) was an Italian painter.
|Born||17 November 1666|
|Died||17 June 1724(aged 57)|
Luti was born in Florence on 17 November 1666.
In 1691, he moved to Rome, where he was patronized by Cosimo III de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, an enthusiast of Luti's pastel portraiture. Luti was one of the first artists to work in pastels as the final composition as opposed to initial studies for paintings or frescoes. He also worked in oils and painted frescoes, including for the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano.
Luti was also a successful art dealer and ran a school of drawing; among his pupils were Giovanni Domenico Piastrini, Giovanni Paolo Panini, Claude Arnulphy, Jean-Baptiste van Loo, William Kent, Charles-André van Loo, Gaetano Sardi, Agostino Ratti, Pietro Bianchi, and Placido Costanzi.
"could not find anything (of Luti's) worthy of memory for the benefit of the arts. Pascoli's of account Luti, found him a deep intellect, and even more knowledgeable of the works that he draws, although ... because he knew too much and was never satisfied, he oftentimes recycled thoughts and figures: he did not make friends with anyone, and for this reason, when was elected Prince of the Academy, there was not much applause."
The next year he dedicated himself to painting frescoes the cupola of the Church of Santi Luca e Martina in Rome.
- Peters Brown, E. (2000). "Benedetto Luti". Art in Rome in the Eighteenth Century. Philadelphia/London. pp. 392–399.
- Wilson, M. (1984). "Travels in Italy". William Kent: Architect, Designer, Painter, Gardner, 1685-1748. London.
- Serie degli uomini i piu illustri nella pittura, scultura, e architettura, Volume 25, (1775) page 136.
- Memorie per servire alla storia della romana Accademia di San Luca by Melchiorre Missirini, page 203
- R. Maffeis, Benedetto Luti: l'ultimo maestro, Firenze, Mandragora, 2012.
- S. Sperindei, Nuovi spunti di ricerca su Benedetto Luti, in "Annali della Pontificia Insigne Accademia di Belle Arti e Lettere dei Virtuosi al Pantheon", 14 (2014), pp. 601-612.
- G. Sestieri, Risarcimenti a Benedetto Luti, in Studi di storia dell’arte in onore di Fabrizio Lemme, a cura di F. Baldassari, A. Agresti, Roma 2017,pp. 265-276.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benedetto Luti.|