Ben Spencer (politician)
Benjamin Walter Jack Spencer (born 11 December 1981) is a British Conservative Party politician and psychiatrist. He was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Runnymede and Weybridge at the 2019 general election. He is currently a member of the Work and Pensions Select Committee.
Spencer in 2020
|Member of Parliament|
for Runnymede and Weybridge
|Assumed office |
12 December 2019
|Preceded by||Philip Hammond|
Benjamin Walter Jack Spencer
11 December 1981
Spencer is a psychiatrist who has worked at both King's College Hospital and Maudsley Hospital. In 2013 he was awarded the Advanced Psychiatric Trainee of the Year Award by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. At King's College hospital he was chair of the Psychiatry Physical Health Committee. He leads the Conservative Health - Mental Health Special Interest Group (SIG).
Spencer challenged long-serving Labour MP Harriet Harman in the Camberwell and Peckham constituency in 2017. He was selected to contest the Conservative safe seat of Runnymede and Weybridge in the 2019 general election after the sitting MP Philip Hammond had the whip withdrawn in September 2019 along with 21 other Conservative MPs and announced that he would not seek reelection.
- "No. 62862". The London Gazette. 20 December 2019. p. 23192.
- "Members' Names Data Platform query". UK Parliament. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- "Runnymede & Weybridge parliamentary constituency - Election 2019". Election 2019. BBC. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Meet Ben Spencer, the Maudsley Hospital junior doctor standing as GE2017 Tory candidate for Camberwell and Peckham". Southwark News (1 June, 2017). Southwark News Limited. 2017.
- "Roll of Honour November 2019" (PDF). /www.rcpsych.ac.uk. Royal College of Psychiatrists. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Junior Doctor Initiative". www.kcl.ac.uk. Kings College Hospital. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Conservative Health - Mental Health Special Interest Group". Dr Ben Spencer for Runnymede and Weybridge. Dr Ben Spencer for Runnymede and Weybridge. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Runnymede and Weybridge
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2019 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|