Benjamin Frederick Mankiewicz (born March 25, 1967) is an American television personality. He is a host on Turner Classic Movies and has been a commentator on The Young Turks and What the Flick?!
Benjamin Frederick Mankiewicz
March 25, 1967
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Residence||Santa Monica, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Tufts University (B.A.)|
Columbia University (M.A.)
|Occupation||Analyst, critic, journalist|
Contessa Kellogg (m. 2005–2009)
Lee Russo (m. 2013)
Mankiewicz was born in Washington, D.C. He is the son of journalist and Robert F. Kennedy press secretary Frank Mankiewicz and Holly Mankiewicz (née Jolley), the cousin of the screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz, grandson of screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz, and great-nephew of screenwriter, producer, and director Joseph L. Mankiewicz. He is the brother of NBC News reporter Josh Mankiewicz. His cousin is filmmaker/television producer Nick Davis.
Mankiewicz began his career as a reporter and an anchor for WCSC-TV (a CBS affiliate) in Charleston, South Carolina. He joined WAMI in Miami, Florida in 1998, where he served as anchor of The Times, a daily news magazine show and the station’s highlight program.
Mankiewicz is currently a host of Turner Classic Movies. When he made his debut on TCM in September 2003, he became the second host hired in the network’s history (Robert Osborne being the first). As a film critic, Mankiewicz co-hosted the nationally syndicated television series At the Movies from 2008 to 2009 and co-hosted the on-line film review show What the Flick?! on The Young Turks Network.
He is a regular commentator on the progressive YouTube talk show The Young Turks, which he co-founded with Cenk Uygur, and hosts TYT Sports and What the Flick?!, two spinoff shows on The Young Turks Network.
Mankiewicz has made cameo appearances in the Lifetime television movie The Bling Ring (2011) and the action film White House Down (2013). Mankiewicz also appears regularly on other shows as a political and media commentator, including The Michael Brooks Show in 2017.
- Broadcasting – Google Books. Retrieved 2013-07-11 – via Google Books.
- "Ben Mankiewicz Biography". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Ben Mankiewicz: Why the World Cup Is Better Than Twilight". The Huffington Post. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "What Mom taught me... – Inside Dateline". Insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Bonnett, Margie. "Frank Mankiewicz". People.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Ben's Top Pick for October 2015". Turner Classic Movies. Archived from the original on 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Ben Mankiewicz". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- TV.com. "Ben Mankiewicz profile". Tv.com. Archived from the original on 2011-09-17. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Home Page - TYT Network". TYT Network. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- The Majority Report with Sam Seder (2017-11-14), TMBS - Ep. 15 - Why Evangelicals Can't Quit Roy Moore ft. Ben Mankiewicz & Sarah Jones, retrieved 2018-01-09