Ben Cross (rugby league)
Ben Cross (born 6 December 1978 in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer. A New South Wales State of Origin representative prop, he previously played for Canberra Raiders, Melbourne Storm, Newcastle Knights, Leeds Rhinos, Wigan Warriors and Widnes Vikings.
Cross playing for the Knights in 2009.
|Full name||Benjamin Cross|
|Born||6 December 1978|
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||191 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||112 kg (17 st 9 lb)|
Source: Rugby League Project
Ben played his junior rugby league for Batemans Bay Tigers.
Ben Cross, also known as "The Boss", had an explosive start to his National Rugby League career with a suspension for striking following his début match in 2003. He moved to Melbourne Storm, and they reached the 2006 NRL Grand Final in which Cross was selected to play from the interchange bench in Melbourne's loss to Brisbane.
There was another citing for contrary conduct was made against him for an incident in the 2007 NRL Telstra Grand Final. The charge resulted in a two-week suspension.
A powerful ball-runner, Ben Cross endeared himself to Melbourne Storm fans with his wholehearted efforts and aggression. He was a member of the losing Grand Final team in 2006.
Late in 2010, Cross re-signed with the Knights for 2011, however in October, 2010 Leeds offered Cross a 2-year deal. Cross asked the Knights for a release and it was granted. Cross was then released by Leeds mid season by mutual consent. On 12 July 2011 he joined Wigan until the end of the season, and on the same day it was announced he would join Widnes for the 2012 season.
- "Leeds Rhinos Players & Coaches 1st Team". web page. Leeds Rhinos. 2011. Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- Liam FitzGibbon (1 August 2008). "Surprises in Kangaroos squad". "Fox Sports News (Australia)". Archived from the original on 8 August 2008. Retrieved 2 August 2008.
- "Veteran Lockyer named in Australian squad". International Herald Tribune. 1 August 2008. Archived from the original on 16 September 2008. Retrieved 2 August 2008.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 March 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Ben Cross named NSW women's coach". NRL.com. 11 March 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.