The Belleville Senators are a professional ice hockey team in the American Hockey League (AHL) that began play in the 2017–18 season as the top minor league affiliate of the National Hockey League team, the Ottawa Senators. Based in Belleville, Ontario, Canada, the Senators play their home games at CAA Arena.
|2019–20 AHL season|
|League||American Hockey League|
|Home arena||CAA Arena|
|Colours||Red, black, white|
|Head coach||Troy Mann|
|Affiliates||Ottawa Senators (NHL)|
Brampton Beast (ECHL)
|1972–1992||New Haven Nighthawks|
|1992–1993||New Haven Senators|
|1993–1996||Prince Edward Island Senators|
In July 2016, Broome County officials stated that the Ottawa Senators intended to relocate their franchise, then known as the Binghamton Senators, closer to the parent club for the 2017–18 season despite still having three more years on their lease. On September 26, 2016, Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk confirmed that he had purchased the Binghamton team and would be relocating it to become the Belleville Senators for the 2017–18 season with the Binghamton Devils eventually announced to be taking over their lease. In order to accommodate an AHL team, the City of Belleville approved more than $20 million in upgrades to Yardmen Arena once the Senators agreed to an eight-year lease.
The Senators kept Kurt Kleinendorst as head coach for the franchise's inaugural season in Belleville, but after a 29–42–2–3 record and missing the playoffs, his contract was not renewed. He was replaced by Troy Mann, the recently released coach of the Hershey Bears. The improved in the 2018–19 season, ending to the fifth-place position in the North Division, with the play of younger players Drake Batherson, Logan Brown, Rudolfs Balcers, and Erik Brannstrom late in the season.
|Calder Cup Champions||Conference Champions||Division Champions||League Leader|
|2017–18||76||29||42||2||3||63||.414||194||266||6th, North||2018||Did not qualify|
|2018–19||76||37||31||3||5||82||.539||228||228||5th, North||2019||Did not qualify|
|Totals||152||66||73||5||8||145||.477||422||494||0 playoff appearances|
Updated January 18, 2020.
The official broadcasting partner of the Belleville Senators is radio station 800 CJBQ. Commentators David Foot and Jack Miller cover all games. David Foot also has a weekly podcast featuring news on the Belleville Senators and the AHL.
- "Binghamton Sens moving north to Belleville say Broome County officials". Ottawa Citizen. July 9, 2016.
- "Sens Owner Purchases AHL Team Partners W/ Belleville". Ottawa Senators. September 26, 2016.
- "Ottawa Senators finalize deal to move AHL team to Belleville from Binghamton". Ottawa Sun. September 26, 2016.
- "REPORT: Coach K out as Belleville Senators bench boss". Belleville Intelligencer. May 1, 2018.
- "Troy Mann named second head coach in franchise history". Belleville Senators. June 25, 2018.
- "Belleville Senators current roster". American Hockey League. Retrieved December 9, 2019.