Beirut Arab University
Beirut Arab University (BAU) (Arabic: جـامعة بيروت العربية) is a Lebanese private university located in Beirut, Lebanon. It was founded by the Lebanese El-Bir and Ihsan Society in. The university is ranked among the top universities in the Arab Region by 2015/16 QS World University Rankings.
|Campus||Urban (Beirut) |
|Colors||Royal Blue |
Beirut Arab University is a member of:
- Association of Arab Universities (AARU)
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW)
- Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF):
- Conférence des Recteurs de la Région du Moyen-Orient(CONFREMO)
- Réseau International Francophone des établissements de formation de formateurs (RIFEFF)
- Ecole Doctorale de Droit du Moyen- Orient (EDDMO)
- Collège Doctoral de Français au Moyen Orient (CODFRAMO)
- International Association of University Presidents (IAUP)
- Association of Universities of Lebanon
- Euro- Mediterranean University (EMUNI)
- Euromed Permanent University Forum (EPUF)
- International Council for Open and Distance Education(ICDE)
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions(IFLA)
- Arab Association of Collegiate Registrars& Admissions Officers ( ARAB-ACRAO)
- Association of the Arab Faculties of Dentistry (Affiliated to AARU)
- Scientific Association of Colleges of Pharmacy in the Arab World (Affiliated to AARU)
- Arab Society of Faculties of Business Administration (Affiliated to AARU)
- Union of International Associations (UIA)
- Scientific Society of Arab Nursing Faculties (Affiliated to AARU)
- Islamic Universities League
- United Nations Global Compact
- Association for Dental Education in Europe (ADEE)
- Arab Forum for Environment and Development (AFED)
- Lebanese Academic Library Consortium (LALC)
- European Foundation for Management and Development (EFMD) kos omak
The University currently consists of the following 10 faculties:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Law & Political Science
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Architectural Engineering
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Health Sciences
It is the main campus located at the south gate of the capital Beirut, specifically in Tarik El-Jadidah District, and houses the following faculties: Arts, Law & Political Science, Commerce & Business Administration, Pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. Beirut campus is undergoing continuous renovation and renewal of its buildings.
First- Location - BAU’s land is located on the real estate number 615 in Debbieh, and it is 33 km far from Beirut Campus. The land has an area of 693,000 m2. The highest point there is 404 m above sea level, while the lowest point is 154 m above sea level. The land encompasses 4 hills each of which is known for its height or function.
BAU’s campus is located in Debeya area next to the Olympic Stadium. It is 88 km far from BAU’s Campus in Beirut.The land was bought on 13/12/2003. It has an area of 15,540 m 2 and is distinguished by its view overlooking the sea with a frontage of 185 m long. It is located on two main roads which makes it easy to get to the university.
BAU Student ProspectusEdit
- Governing bodies: University Higher Council; University Council
- Academic year: September to June
- Admission requirements: To be accepted for an undergraduate degree, applicants must:
- Hold the official Lebanese Secondary School Certificate in a branch relevant to the chosen undergraduate field of specialization, or an official equivalent;
- Pass the relevant admission examinations
- Tuition Fees The cost of each credit hour is determined by the university administration and fees vary depending on the faculty.
- Main language of instruction: Arabic, English, French
English Language RequirementsEdit
All programs and examinations at BAU are set in English except for the Faculties of Arts and Law where the language of instruction varies depending on the nature of the course/s. Hence, applicants must provide evidence of their English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
All undergraduate applicants and transferring students are expected to pass BAU's English Language admission exam with a minimum score of 70%. However, applicants who have passed a TOEFL Exam with a minimum score of 500 or IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5 or have successfully completed the General Certificate of Education (GCE) program are exempted from this English Language admission exam. Similarly, transferring students who have completed a minimum of two years at an institution where the language of instruction is English are exempted from BAU's English Language admission exam.
Financial Aid and ScholarshipsEdit
BAU provides direct financial support to students experiencing hardship in the form of tuition fees deductions.
Undergraduate Program Scholarships
- BAU offers 4 scholarships annually. These scholarships are available to first year students who rank in the top ten positions in the four branches of the Lebanese Secondary School Certificate. These students can also benefit from these scholarships during their undergraduate study as long as they get a CGPA of 3.33 or above.
- Three scholarships are offered to the first three BAU students in each of the departments of the Faculty they are registered in provided that they get a SGPA of 3.00 and above at the end of each semester, with not less than 15 credits per semester. Each semester, a maximum of 5 top students, at each level of all undergraduate programs, who have completed 15 credits and above and have not failed any course during the same semester, are exempted from a percentage of the subsequent semester tuition fees as follows:
1st place: 80% 2nd place: 50% 3rd place: 30% 4th place: 25% 5th place 15%
- President's Honor List and Dean's Honor list:
Students with a SGPA of 3.8 or above are included on the President's Honor list and those with a SGPA of 3.5 or above are included on the Dean's Honor list.
- Gamal Abdel Nasser Award
A student in the undergraduate level is granted Gamal Abdel Nasser Award for Academic Distinction provided that his grade is not less than "Very Good"
Beirut Campus: Housing is not available on Beirut Campus; however, the city of Beirut offers various furnished and non-furnished apartments at reasonable prices.
Debbieh Campus: The students' accommodation building consists of three levels with a total of 66 rooms, each having its private bathroom. The rooms are fully furnished with built-in closets, beds, and study desks. A new student accommodation building is also under construction, with a total area of 7,000 square meters to eventually house 133 students. Ten single rooms will have private toilets, while 60 single rooms and 21 triple rooms will share common services. The building will provide its residents with a reception area, lounges, study rooms, TV hall and gymnasium.
- Prime Minister Rafik Al-Hariri of Lebanon
- Prime Minister Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani of Qatar
- Deputy Prime Minister Tawfiq Kreishan of Jordan
- Minister of Interior Eid Al-Fayez of Jordan
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs Mohammed Hussein Al Shaali of United Arab Emirates
- Former Governor of Jerusalem Jamil Othman Nasser of Palestine
- Palestinian Jurist Hilmi M. Zawati
- Shalimar Sharbatly, abstract artist
Al Zamil is an academic, cultural, social periodical published by Beirut Arab University.