Begusarai is the administrative headquarters of Begusarai district, which is one of the thirty-eight districts of the Indian state of Bihar. The district lies on the northern bank of river Ganga. It is located at latitudes 25.15N & 25.45N and longitudes 85.45E & 86.36E. It was established in 1870.
|Elevation||41 m (135 ft)|
|• Additional official||Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||0.9109 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Begusarai|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Begusarai|
Begusarai is located at  It has an average elevation of 41 metres (134 feet). Begusarai lies in North Bihar and is surrounded by Khagaria in North-East, Munger in South-East, Patna in West and Samastipur in North-West..
Begusarai lies in the middle of the mid Ganga plain and generally has low lying terrain with South to South Easterly slope. Begusarai is basically divided in three flood plains namely :1) Ganga Flood Plain 2) Burhi Gandak Flood plain 3) Kareha-Bagmati Flood Plain.
As per 2011 census Begusarai Municipal Corporation had a total population of 251,136, out of which 133,931 were males and 117,205 were females with sex ratio at 875. The population younger than 5 years of age was 37,966. The literacy rate of the 7+ population was 79.35%.
Agriculture is the mainstay of the economy. The main cash crops of the Begusarai district are oilseeds, aniseed/ tisi, tobacco, jute, potato, red chilies, tomato and rape-seed. In Fruits Farming Begusarai has recently become a major contributor in producing Litchi, Mango, Guava and Banana. Recently Basil Leaves and Pearl farming has attracted local farmers.
Even today, only Barauni refinery contributes around Rs 500 crore to the state exchequer yearly.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "52nd Report of the Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities in India" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Begusarai Pin Code, Search Begusarai BEGUSARAI PinCode". www.citypincode.in. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Begusarai, India". www.fallingrain.com. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Welcome to Begusarai !! District". www.begusarai.bih.nic.in. Archived from the original on 21 May 2008. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- The Subsurface Geology of the Indo-Gangetic plains M.B.R Rao, 1973, no:-3, vol-14, Journal of the Geological Society of India, pp-217-242.
- "Farming of Basil Leaves In Begusarai". Live Hindustan. LiveHindustan.com. 5 July 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Pearl harvesting made this farmer a role model for others in his village". english.pradesh18.com. 26 February 2015. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Making of Begusarai was by choice, not accident - Times of India". Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- N.K."Dhiraj" (23 March 2009). "ULB launches poll campaign". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 March 2009.
- Begg, Yusuf (9 April 2019). "Lok Sabha 2019: Why is Begusarai called Leningrad of Bihar?". India Today. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Begusarai.|