Beekdaelen (Dutch: [beːɡˈdaːlə(n)] (listen); Limburgish: Baekdale) is a municipality in the province of Limburg, situated in the southern Netherlands. It was formed as a merger of Nuth, Onderbanken and Schinnen.
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Bas Verkerk (VVD)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
6155, 6174, 6365, 6436-6439
|Area code||045, 046|
Beekdaelen has 35,853 inhabitants. It does not have a capital. The town hall of the municipality is currently situated in the village Nuth, which is the biggest population centre in the municipality with 6,520 inhabitants. The other fourteen villages in the municipality are Amstenrade with 2,670 inhabitants, Bingelrade with 796 inhabitants, Doenrade with 1,122 inhabitants, Hulsberg with 3,954 inhabitants, Jabeek with 752 inhabitants, Merkelbeek with 1,564 inhabitants, Oirsbeek with 3,733 inhabitants, Puth with 2,004 inhabitants, Schimmert with 3,236 inhabitants, Schinnen with 2,692 inhabitants, Schinveld with 4,629 inhabitants, Sweikhuizen with 690 inhabitants, and Wijnandsrade with 1,631 inhabitants. The other population centres belong to one of the following villages.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Beekdaelen, November 2018
- Auguste Kerckhoffs (1835 in Nuth – 1903) a Dutch linguist, cryptographer and academic
- Frans de Wever (1869 in Nuth – 1940) a Dutch general practitioner, municipal doctor and hospital founder
- Theo Rutten (1899 in Schinnen – 1980) a professor of psychology and a Dutch politician
- Johannes Herman Frederik Umbgrove (1899 in Hulsberg – 1954) was a Dutch geologist and Earth scientist
- Leo Wetzels (born 1951 in Schinnen) academic and Editor-in-Chief of Probus International
- Peter Akkermans (born 1957 in Hulsberg) a Dutch archaeologist and academic
- Joep Packbiers (1875 in Nuth – 1957) a Dutch archer, competed at the 1920 Summer Olympics
- Frans Korver (born 1937in Schinnen) a Dutch former professional football player and manager
- Wim Ernes (1958 in Schimmert – 2016) a Dutch equestrian dressage coach
- Nadezhda Wijenberg (born 1964) a long-distance runner, lives in Schinnen,
- Julie Zwarthoed (born 1994 in Schinnen) a Dutch female ice hockey player
- "Samenstelling college" [Board members] (in Dutch). Gemeente Beekdaelen. Archived from the original on 2 March 2019. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Gemeenteraad Beekdaelen beëdigd in gemeentehuis Nuth" [Town council of Beekdaelen sworn in at Nuth municipality office] (in Dutch). 1Limburg. Retrieved 2 March 2019.