Beechgrove, Coffee County, Tennessee
Beechgrove, also known as Beech Grove, is an unincorporated community in Coffee County, Tennessee, United States. Beechgrove is located in northwestern Coffee County at the junction of Interstate 24, U.S. Route 41, and State Route 64. Beechgrove has a post office with ZIP code 37018.
Beechgrove, viewed from the Beech Grove Confederate Cemetery
|Elevation||267 m (876 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1269328|
Beechgrove, Tennessee, was named "Beech Grove," until zip codes were assigned to U.S. Post Offices. At that time the post office named "Beech Grove" in another county was given its zip code before the Coffee County location received its code; thus to avoid confusion among postal users, and the Postal system itself, Beech Grove (Coffee County), Tennessee was changed, officially, to "Beechgrove." Locals living there protested to postal authorities, but to no avail. The name "stuck," so to speak.
The community was named from the presence of beech trees near the town site. A post office has been in operation at Beechgrove since 1836. Between June 24–26, 1863, the Battle of Hoover's Gap was fought around Beechgrove. The Beechgrove Confederate Cemetery now occupies a portion of the battlefield, on top of a hill overlooking present-day I-24. It contains 56 graves; 52 are of unknown soldiers.
- "Beechgrove". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Coffee County, Tennessee General Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Tennessee Department of Transportation. 2004. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- United States Postal Service (2012). "USPS - Look Up a ZIP Code". Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Postmaster Finder - Post Offices by ZIP Code". United States Postal Service. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- Miller, Larry L. (2001). Tennessee Place-names. Indiana University Press. p. 15. ISBN 0-253-21478-5.
- "County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 8 February 2015. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- Walter J. Timoschuk. "Beech Grove Pioneer & Confederate Cemetery". Sharon N. Goodman. Archived from the original on March 1, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
|This Coffee County, Tennessee geography–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|