|"Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"|
|Single by John Lennon|
|from the album Double Fantasy|
|A-side||"Watching the Wheels"|
|Released||11 April 1981|
|John Lennon singles chronology|
|Double Fantasy track listing|
Paul McCartney has stated this is one of his favourite songs composed by Lennon, and when he appeared on Desert Island Discs in 1982 included it as his favourite in his selection, as did Yoko Ono as the only John Lennon song in 2007.
The song was for Lennon's son, Sean, his only child with Yoko Ono. It begins with John comforting his son from what is presumably a nightmare and develops into John passionately describing the love he has for his son and the joy Sean gave him.
At the end of the song, John Lennon whispers, "Good night, Sean. See you in the morning. Bright and early."
Celine Dion versionEdit
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album Miracle|
|Released||4 October 2004|
|Recorded||2004 Digital Insights Recording, Chartmarker Studios, Sony Studios|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
The song reached number two on the Quebec Airplay Chart. "Beautiful Boy" was also popular on adult contemporary charts, peaking at number 18 in the US and number 23 in Canada. It also reached number 30 on the Hungarian Airplay Chart.
Dion performed this song on a few US TV shows, including Live with Regis and Kelly.
|Canada AC (Billboard)||23|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||30|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||18|
In other mediaEdit
- In 2014, Lennon's version was played in the DreamWorks movie Mr. Peabody & Sherman as background during Mr. Peabody's journey through his memories of Sherman as he grew up. The song was also included as track 7 on the movie soundtrack.
- US sitcom The New Normal used the song in its season one finale, "The Big Day".
- "Beautiful Boy" is played by autistic character in the CBS show God Friended Me in 2018.
- The line "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" is referred in the 2015 video game Life Is Strange.
- The same line is referred in the song 'Right Side Of Wrong' from Bon Jovi, which was released on their Album 'Bounce' in 2002.
- "Beautiful Boy" (2018) by Felix Van Groeningen was named after Lennon's song, his song is also sung by the main character to his own son.
- In "Mr. Holland's Opus" (1995), the song is sung and signed in American sign language by the title character (played by Richard Dreyfuss) to his deaf son, Cole.
- "Beautiful Trail", a contrafactum version celebrating the Appalachian Trail, was released by Manhappalachia in 2015.
- "Paul McCartney: Desert Island Discs". BBC. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Yoko Ono: Desert Island Discs". BBC. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "R&R Going for Adds" (PDF). Radio & Records. 1 October 2004. p. 20. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "Celine Dion Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "R&R Canada AC Top 30" (PDF). Radio & Records. 3 December 2004. p. 48. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Le Palmarès". ADISQ. Archived from the original on 18 October 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Yoko Ono Approves Use of John Lennon Song in 'The New Normal'". Rolling Stone. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2017.