Beachwood Canyon, Los Angeles
Beachwood Canyon is a community in the Hollywood Hills, in the northern portion of Hollywood in Los Angeles, California. The upper portion of the canyon is the Hollywoodland community that was advertised in the 1920s by the original of what is now known as the Hollywood Sign. The canyon features its own market, cafe, florist and stables.
Beachwood Canyon, above the Hollywood Sign
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
Home to more than 22,000 residents, Beachwood Canyon was first developed in the 1920s by a syndicate composed of West Hollywood's founder, Gen. M. H. Sherman; Los Angeles Times publisher Harry Chandler; and real estate mogul Sidney Woodruff (who also developed Dana Point). The architects and landscapers who developed the enclave drew inspiration from the southern regions of France, Italy and Spain, as well as the turreted castles of Germany, building in the Storybook house architectural style
Notable residents (past and present)Edit
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Steve Agee, comedian, actor, writer
- Kevin Bacon, actor
- Ned Beatty, actor
- Jamie Bell, actor
- Evan Franzel, attorney
- Jack Black, actor
- Humphrey Bogart, actor
- Adam Carolla, radio and television personality
- Guy Chambers, English songwriter and record producer
- Steve Coogan, English comic actor
- Charlie Chaplin
- David Cook, Musician and winner of American Idol
- Chris D'Elia, American actor and comedian
- Mac Danzig, American mixed-martial artist
- William De Los Santos, poet, screenwriter and film director
- Peter Deuel, actor
- Dean Delray, comedian and actor
- Alexandre Desplat, composer
- Minnie Driver, actress
- Gustavo Dudamel, Music Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Fred Durst, musician
- James Duval, actor
- Peg Entwistle, Broadway actress who died by suicide from atop the HOLLYWOODLAND sign in 1932
- Anna Friel, actress
- Ashley Frangipane, singer
- George Furth, actor
- Troy Garity, actor
- Kim Gardner, singer and restaurateur
- Heather Graham, actress
- Aldous Huxley, English writer and novelist
- Laura Huxley, author and lecturer
- Maynard James Keenan, singer and songwriter
- Anna Kendrick, actress
- Anthony Kiedis, singer and songwriter
- Mila Kunis, actress
- Heath Ledger, actor
- Sharmagne Leland-St. John, poet, author, filmmaker, concert performer
- Daniel Levitin, author, neuroscientist, and musician, and Heather Bortfeld, neuroscientist and professor
- Bela Lugosi, actor
- Lykke Li, singer 
- Madonna, singer, actress, and director
- Ray Manzarek, singer and songwriter
- Chris Matthews, political commentator
- Jack McBrayer, actor
- Wesley C. McMahon, prominent lawyer, musician
- Thomas Middleditch, actor
- Moby, Musician, DJ, and photographer
- D.W. Moffett, actor, writer, and director
- Jack Nitzsche, musician, composer
- Hal Ozsan, actor
- Teresa Palmer, actress
- Keanu Reeves, actor
- William N. Robson, musician and radio producer
- Samantha Ronson, DJ
- Axl Rose, musician
- Andy Samberg, comedian and Joanna Newsom, musician.
- Ben Schwartz, comedian, actor
- Marion Sherman, actress
- Grant Show, actor
- Jessica Simpson, singer, actor
- Robert Slap, Composer and Musician
- Brooke Smith, actress
- Michael Sopkiw, actor
- Ralph Story, radio and television personality
- John Taylor, musician
- David Thewlis, actor
- Peter Tork, singer
- Dean Torrence, singer
- Robert Townsend, actor and director
- Mayra Veronica, singer and author, Miss USO
- Antonio Villaraigosa, Former California gubernatorial candidate and former mayor of Los Angeles
- Jack Webb, actor
- Jane Wiedlin, guitarist and member of the all female band The Go-Go's
- Forest Whitaker, actor, director and producer
- Hana Vu, singer and songwriter
- Bobby Lee, comedian, actor
- Pauline O'Connor (July 10, 2008). "Neighborhoods: Beachwood Canyon". Los Angeles Times.
- H. May Spitz (December 7, 2003). "Serene, scenic enclave born in 'Hollywoodland' days". Los Angeles Times.
- "Jack Black selling Beachwood Canyon Home". Realestalker.blogspot.com. 2007-05-21. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "David Cook's Beachwood Canyon Crib For Sale!". Too Fab. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "War Over Hollywood Sign Pits Wealthy Residents Against Urinating Tourists: "One of These Days Someone Will Get Shot"". The Hollywood Reporter.
- (2010-07-29). "Gustavo Dudamel finds time to unwind in L.A. - latimes.com". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Tool Frontman Maynard James Keenen Lists House in Beachwood Canyon". 11 March 2014.
- "Heath Ledger hidden property fortune – The Daily Telegraph".
- Bianca Barragan: Bela Lugosi's Beachwood Mansion Flipped For $4.197 Million. In: Curbed LA, March 26, 2014.
- "How Lykke Li Does Pregnancy: Crime Shows, Sushi Cravings, and Her Favorite Natural Face Oil".
- "Hal Ozsan, Inc. - Los Angeles, California". Bizapedia.com. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Christie, Joel (11 March 2013). "A day in the life of Teresa Palmer". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Barragan, Bianca (2014-07-16). "Andy Samberg and Joanna Newsom Buy the Famous Moorcrest". Curbed LA. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "Dr. Hahn, you are wanted in surgery - Los Angeles Times". Archived from the original on 2008-12-25. Retrieved 2007-11-17.
- Spitz, By H. May. "Serene, scenic enclave born in 'Hollywoodland' days - Los Angeles Times". latimes.com.