beIN Media Group
Logo of the group starting 2014
UEFA Euro 2012 studio.
|مجموعة بي إن الإعلامية|
|Majmū‘at Bī’in al-I‘lāmiyyah|
|Limited liability company (LLC)|
|Industry||Television and cinema|
|Predecessor||Al Jazeera Sports (2003–2014)|
|Middle East, Maghreb, United States, Canada, Australia, France, Spain and Turkey|
|Products||Pay television, pay-per-view and new media|
Number of employees
|Parent||Al Jazeera Media Network|
beIN Media Group (//; Arabic: مجموعة بي إن الإعلامية, Majmū‘at Bī’in al-I‘lāmiyyah), stylized as beIN MEDIA GROUP, is a Qatari entertainment company founded on January 1, 2014 by Nasser Al-Khelaifi, headquartered in Doha, Qatar and owned by Al Jazeera Media Network. It was the successor of Al Jazeera Sports, which spun off into beIN in January by its parent company.
beIN Sports as a brand was first launched in June 2012 in France. On December 31, 2013, Al Jazeera Sport was officially spun off from the Al Jazeera Media Network to become beIN Sports. In October 2014, it was announced that beIN Media Group had agreed to acquire pay-TV sports channel Setanta Sports Australia, with Setanta being rebranded as beIN Sports Australia.
In 2015, beIN Sports launched a HD channel specially dedicated to football in Spain. The group declared in November 2015 that it would be expanding from sports-only programming to include entertainment and movies as well.
It was announced in January 2016 that beIN Media Group secured an agreement with Turner Broadcasting System, allowing it exclusive rights to broadcast a number of Turner-licensed entertainment and news channels across the Middle East and North Africa.
It was rumored in November 2015 that beIN Media Group exhibited interested in purchasing Miramax. On March 1, 2016, beIN Media Group announced its full acquisition of Miramax from Filmyard Holdings.
- "Key milestones in our history, through the dissociation from Al Jazeera Media Network, to our current position as a leading global and independent media group". beinmediagroup.com. beIN MEDIA GROUP. 2015-05-09. Retrieved 2015-05-ال. Check date values in:
- "beIn Media Group to acquire Setanta Sports Australia". Business and Leadership.com.
- Robert Briel (2 November 2015). "BeIn expands DTH bouquet for MENA, offers Euro2016". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Qatar's beIN inks Turner deal to expand entertainment channels". Arabian Business. 8 January 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Tom Huddleston, Jr. (16 November 2015). "The Studio Behind 'Pulp Fiction' Could Be Sold Soon". Fortune. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Michael Cieply (2 March 2016). "Miramax Is Bought by the Qatari beIN Media Group". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 March 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Digiturk". beIN Media Group. Retrieved September 30, 2016.