Bełchatów ([bɛu̯ˈxatuf] (listen); German: Belchatow, 1943–1945 Belchental) is a town in central Poland with a population of 56,973 (2019). It is located in Łódź Voivodeship, 160 kilometres (99 miles) from Warsaw.
Gabriel Narutowicz square
|Gmina||Bełchatów (urban gmina)|
|Town rights||1743-1870, 1925|
|• Mayor||Mariola Czechowska|
|• Total||34.63 km2 (13.37 sq mi)|
(31 December 2019)
|• Total||56,973 |
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code(s)||+48 44|
The Elektrownia Bełchatów, located in Bełchatów, is the largest coal fueled power plant in Europe and one of the largest in the world. It produces 27-28 TWh of electricity per year, or 20% of the total power generation in Poland.
One municipal division of Bełchatów comprises numerous housing estates including the Budowlanych housing estate located in the central part of the town (close to the "Kultura" cinema, the Municipal Cultural Center, the Town Hall and the church). The estate is also close to the "Rakówka" river and Olszewski Park.
Other municipal divisions of Bełchatów include Dobrzelów District, Grocholice, and the following housing estates:
- GKS Bełchatów - men's football team (2nd league champions in 2003/2004, runner-up 2006/07 season)
- Skra Bełchatów - men's volleyball team playing in Polish Volleyball League (Polska Liga Siatkówki, PLS)
- Championship of Poland in seasons 2004/05 and 05/06,
- Winner of Polish Cup in 2004 and 2005,
- 3rd place in season 2001/02,
- 4th place in season 2003/2004,
- Zjednoczeni Bełchatów - men's football team (6th league 2005/2006)
- Harry Haft (1925–2007), survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp and a professional boxer in the United States during 1948–1949
Twin towns — Sister citiesEdit
- "Local Data Bank". Statistics Poland. Retrieved 8 July 2020. Data for territorial unit 1001011.
- "Portal Bełchatów" [Bełchatów - Partnership Cities]. Miasto Bełchatów [Bełchatów town council] belchatow.pl (in Polish). 2010. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Myślenice - Miasta partnerskie" [Myślenice - Partnership Cities] (in Polish). Archived from the original on 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bełchatów.|