Bayard Presse is one of the oldest press and publishing companies of France, being founded in 1870. The company has various media outlets both in its native France and abroad. As of 2019, it reports approximately two thousand employees, two hundred magazines with five million subscribers, and eight million annual book sales.
|Parent company||Augustinians of the Assumption|
|Country of origin||France|
|Distribution||France, Canada, USA|
|Publication types||Books, magazines|
History and profileEdit
Bayard Press was founded in Paris in 1870 and has since expanded into a global publishing network. Its core publications market comes from the children's sector. The main markets are France, Spain and China, but Bayard also has a substantial presence in Canada, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The company focuses on publications about youth, religion, seniors and nature.
The company has close connections with the Catholic Church in France, and is owned by the Assumptionists. It edits educational and Catholic publications such as La Croix and Catholic Digest. It also publishes Notre Temps, a lifestyle magazine for seniors and The World of the Bible, a review of the Bible.
As well as being a French press company, Bayard Presse has publications in English such as the "I Love English" series for teenagers to read and practice their English. Since 1995, Bayard also produces children's magazines for English-speaking children, such as StoryBox (including the television/comic character "SamSam", for ages 3–6), AdventureBox (ages 6–9), and DiscoveryBox (ages 9–12). In addition to these and Catholic Digest, its major English periodicals include Living with Christ, Catechist, and Today's Catholic Teacher.
- "About us". Bayard, Inc. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Bayard Group". Qualiac Group. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- Lawrence D. Kritzman; Brian J. Reilly; M. B. DeBevoise (2007). The Columbia History of Twentieth-century French Thought. Columbia University Press. p. 722. ISBN 978-0-231-10790-7. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Europa World Year. Taylor & Francis. 2004. p. 1694. ISBN 978-1-85743-254-1. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Nicholas Hewitt (11 September 2003). The Cambridge Companion to Modern French Culture. Cambridge University Press. p. 136. ISBN 978-1-107-49447-3. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- StoryBox Website
- AdventureBox Website
- DiscoveryBox Website Archived 5 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Living with Christ". Bayard, Inc. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Catechist". Bayard, Inc. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Today's Catholic Teacher". Bayard, Inc. Retrieved 7 January 2019.