Bavuttiyude Namathil (English: In the name of Bavutty) is a 2012 Malayalam drama part-thriller film produced and written by Ranjith, directed by G. S. Vijayan, and starring Mammootty, Kavya Madhavan, Shankar Ramakrishnan, Kaniha, Rima Kallingal and Vineeth. The film was earlier titled Malabar.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||G. S. Vijayan|
|Distributed by||Seven Arts, PJ Entertainments & Tricolor Entertainments|
G. S. Vijayan returned to directing after a hiatus of 12 years to create Bavuttiyude Namathil. The film was released on 21 December 2012.
Mammootty plays Bavutty, a chauffeur in a wealthy household. He is much more than a driver; he is very much part of the family. For Sethu (played by Shankar Ramakrishnan), his employer, life is all about making money, but Bavutty is a simple man with small dreams. Kavya Madhavan plays Vanaja, Sethu's wife, while Kaniha appears as Mariam, a housemaid. Bavutty is also acting in a small scale movie called Malabar which Vanaja is producing. Rima Kallingal plays the role of Noorjahan, a tuition teacher.
The story takes on a twist when Vanaja's ex-lover Satheeshan (Vineeth) shows up. At first Vanaja thinks that he has come out of his poverty to seek help and tries to help him. But later, it is revealed that he has come to blackmail her and to squeeze out huge money. Satheeshan tells Vanaja that if they don't pay him 10 lakh rupees, he will tell her husband that Vanaja was already once married before her marriage with Sethu. Bavutty tries to sell his land and give off the ransom, but Bavutty's ally Alavi (Harisree Ashokan) beats up Satheeshan with the help of goons. Satheeshan talks about this to Bavutty which Sethu overhears. Sethu at first decides to break up with Vanaja but Bavutty cools him down and the marriage is saved. In the end, Bavutty is seen still giving 10 lakh to Satheeshan after selling his land and advising him to earn his bread and butter from now on and never to beg again.
- Mammootty as Bavutti
- Kavya Madhavan as Vanaja
- Shankar Ramakrishnan as Sethu
- Kaniha as Mariam
- Kottayam Nazeer as Sreenivasan/Sreeni, Vanaja's elder brother
- Rima Kallingal as Noorjahan
- Vineeth as Satheeshan
- Sudheesh as Sreekandan
- Harisree Ashokan as Alavi
- Mohan Jose as S.I Josemon
- Sudheer Karamana as Constable Pavithran
- Lena as Sethu's friend
- Baby Raniya as Lakshmi/Lachu
- Jaseem Tirur
Bavuttiyude Namathil was directed by G. S. Vijayan. Vijayan had been on a sabbatical for 12 years. Vijayan said, "I have been waiting for a script to make a film that is clean and that can entertain the entire family. I was delighted when Ranjith came up with the script of Bavuttiyude Namathil and decided to produce it himself."
The film was released on 21 December 2012. Paresh C. Palicha of Rediff gave the film a rating of 2.5/5, saying, "Bavuttiyude Namathil is watchable at least for the performance of the three main characters." Metro Matinee gave it a positive review, calling it "a charming film that's plainly life-affirming without being overly pretentious or markedly melodramatic". India Glitz gave the film a rating of 7/10 and said that "This Bavootty is cliched, but engrossing". Shankar Ramakrishnan won the Asianet Film Award for Best Supporting Actor - Male for this film.
- "Bavuttiyude Namathil Malayalam Exclusive Stills". Kerala Films. 13 October 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2012.
- "Four Malayalam films to release this Christmas". Rediff. 20 December 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Vijay George; P. K. Ajith Kumar; Saraswathy Nagarajan. "Stars at the marquee". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Mammootty in Bavuttiyude Namathil". 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Review: Bavuttiyude Namathil is watchable". Rediff. 24 December 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Bavuttiyude Naamathil Review". Metro Matinee. Archived from the original on 24 December 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Bavuttiyude Namathil review. Bavuttiyude Namathil Malayalam movie review, story, rating - IndiaGlitz.com". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 10 April 2016.