Battlecat (record producer)
|Birth name||Kevin Gilliam|
|Also known as||DJ Battlecat, B Sharp|
|Born||April 20, 1968|
|Origin||South Central Los Angeles, California, US|
|Genres||West Coast hip hop, G-funk|
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, rapper, songwriter, singer|
|Instruments||Sampler, keyboard, drums, vocoder, synthesizer.|
|Labels||Maverick/Warner Bros. Records|
|Associated acts||Snoop Dogg, Tupac Shakur, Joi, Kurupt, Tha Dogg Pound, Tha Eastsidaz, Bloods & Crips, Xzibit, Ice Cube|
He started out as a battle DJ, notably competing in the 1988 New Music Seminar DJ Battle for World Supremacy and the 1990 DMC US Mixing Finals, both in NYC. He is well known for producing artists such as Snoop Dogg, Tupac Shakur, The Game, Xzibit and Tha Eastsidaz along with a number of other West Coast rappers. His aesthetic is a progression from the early-'90s G-Funk sound pioneered by Above the Law and Dr. Dre, characterized by fat synth bass lines and soulful keys. He is also the concert DJ for Snoop Dogg. As a youth he was a member of the Neighborhood Rollin 60s crip, because of this he has also produced instrumentals for the 1993 album "Bangin' on wax" by rap collaboration Bloods & Crips which went Gold.
In 2009, Battlecat produced a special song called "A Soldier Never Dies", dedicated to fallen Marine, Anthony Vargas. Battlecat is a DJ member of The Worldwide DJ organization, The Core DJs.  The music video was directed by Paolo Ongkeko and produced by Don Le. One of the video's leads was portrayed by Sonny Ayon.
- 1988: "D.J. N-Effect"
- 1999: Gumbo Roots
- 2009: G' & Sexy Vol. 1 (with Amplified)
- "Battlecat". steadydippin. SteadyDippin.com. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Rap memorializes Marine, cousin". The Press-Enterprise. October 24, 2009. Retrieved October 24, 2009.
- "A Soldier Never Dies". Global Grind. October 26, 2009. Retrieved October 26, 2009.
- "Rapper INVINCEABLE, R&B Crooner JON B. and Producer BATTLECAT Collaborate On "A Soldier Never Dies"". BlackVibes. October 26, 2009. Retrieved October 26, 2009.