In baseball statistics, batting average against (denoted by BAA or AVG), also known as opponents' batting average (denoted by OBA),[a] is a statistic that measures a pitcher's ability to prevent hits during official at bats. It can alternatively be described as the league's hitters' combined batting average against the pitcher.
Batting average against is calculated as:
- H is the number of hits allowed by the pitcher
- BF is the number of batters faced
- BB is the number of base on balls
- HBP is the number of hit batsmen
- SH is the number of sacrifice hits
- SF is the number of sacrifice flies
- CINT is the number of catcher's interference
For example, if a pitcher faced 125 batters and allowed 25 hits, issued 8 walks, hit 1 batsman, allowed 2 sacrifice hits, allowed 3 sacrifice flies, and had 1 instance of catcher's interference, the pitcher's BAA would be calculated as:
Reference site Baseball-Reference.com more simply defines BAA as hits divided by at bats, as "at bats" for a pitcher equates to the above noted denominator (batters faced less walks, hit by pitch, sacrifice hits, sacrifice flies, and catcher's interference):[b]
- Not to be confused with on-base average (OBA), more commonly known as on-base percentage (OBP).
- See section "Player Batting Against", hover over "BA" column header.
- See section "Player Batting Against", sort by column "BA".
- "1965 Major League Batting Against". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 4, 2022.
- "Classic Fantasy Baseball Glossary - Definitions of Terms". ESPN.com. 2001. Archived from the original on 26 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "2021 Major League Baseball Batting Against". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 4, 2022.
- OBA Calculator at captaincalculator.com