Battery Council International
The Battery Council International (BCI) is a trade association of manufacturers of original-equipment and after-market automobile batteries and other lead-acid batteries. Its headquarters are in Chicago, USA.
It promotes the recycling of lead-acid batteries, and claims that almost all car batteries are eventually recycled.
After Ecology Center, Environmental Defence and the Clean Car Campaign published a report in 2003 which called for the elimination of lead-based car batteries,   BCI issued a press release disputing the report's conclusions.
The trade association provides industry standards for testing, dimensions, and sizes of lead-acid batteries worth over $1 billion in the North American market each year. The trade association provides models for legislation to encourage the recycling and safe handling of automotive lead-acid battery products.
It also organizes regular conferences and meetings.
In August 2017, Battery Council International launched Essential Energy Everyday, a joint initiative with the International Lead Association to increase awareness about the importance of lead batteries as a key resource for sustainable, essential, reliable, and safe energy sources and storage.
- "Lead Fraternity Keeps the Loop Closed". Recycling Today. March 7, 2000. Archived from the original on 15 July 2011. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Automobile Industry Largest Source of Lead Pollution Today, Child Health Advocates, Environmentalists Call for Phase-out of Lead Car Batteries". Ecology Center. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Getting the Lead Out: Impacts of and Alternatives for Automotive Lead Uses (full text of report)" (PDF). Environmental Defence. July 17, 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 August 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Executive Summary: Getting the Lead Out" (PDF). Environmental Defence. July 18, 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 August 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Battery Council International Response to: 'Getting the Lead Out: Impacts of And Alternatives for Automotive Lead Uses,' Written By Environmental Defense, Ecology Center, Clean Car Campaign". Battery Council International press release. July 23, 2003. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Lead price outlook mixed at BCI conference". American Metal Market. April 20, 2005. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- Wiener, Leonard (October 26, 1977). "Management firms' creed: 'Separate but equal'". Chicago Tribune. pp. C9. Retrieved 14 December 2009.