Batman '66 is a comic book series published by DC Comics featuring Batman as a continuation of the 1966–68 television series starring Adam West and Burt Ward as Batman and Robin. The series was written primarily by Jeff Parker and Tom Peyer, with cover art by Mike Allred.
Cover of Batman '66 #1.
|Publication date||July 2013 – February 2016|
|No. of issues||30|
|Main character(s)||Batman and Robin|
|Written by||Jeff Parker|
|Artist(s)||Mike Allred (cover)
In 2013, DC began publication of Batman '66, which tells all-new stories set in the world of the 1966–68 TV series. It was written by Jeff Parker, and featured cover art by Mike Allred while interior art was done by different artists each issue. Characters from the television series such as the Bookworm, the Minstrel, the Sandman, Olga, Queen of the Cossacks, Zelda The Great, Shame, and Marsha, Queen of Diamonds all made their first comic-book appearance in the series. Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Catwoman and Mr. Freeze also appear in the series. Characters who were not featured in the television series (some of them created after the series ended) also appeared in Batman '66 with the Red Hood and Dr. Quinn appearing in issue #3, Poison Ivy in issue #26, Bane in issue #27, Scarecrow and Killer Croc appearing in issue #28, Professor Hugo Strange appearing in Batman '66 Meets the Man from U.N.C.L.E., and Ra's al Ghul appearing in Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77. Also, new characters and vehicles were created for the series such as the Bat-Jet, used to follow False-Face to Mount Rushmore, as well as a new villainess named Cleopatra.
In April 2014, the first five issues were compiled into the Batman '66 Vol. 1 trade paperback. Additional volumes collecting further issues have since been released. In June 2014, Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman's six-issue Batman and Green Hornet crossover mini-series, Batman '66 Meets The Green Hornet, began publication. There are also three other crossovers with fellow 1960s and 1970s TV shows; The Man From U.N.C.L.E. with Batman '66 Meets the Man From U.N.C.L.E., TV's The Avengers with Batman '66 Meets Steed and Mrs. Peel, and Wonder Woman, as played by Lynda Carter, in Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77. In July 2017, a new one-shot called Batman '66 Meets the Legion of Super-Heroes shows Batman and Robin teaming up with the Legion of Super-Heroes.
|Title||Material Collected||Publication dates||ISBN|
|Batman '66 Vol. 1||Batman '66 #1-5||April 8, 2014||978-1401247218|
|Batman '66 Vol. 2||Batman '66 #6-10||April 28, 2014||978-1401254612|
|Batman '66 Vol. 3||Batman '66 #11-16||December 8, 2015||978-1401257507|
|Batman '66 Vol. 4||Batman '66: The Lost Episode #1 and Batman '66 #17-22||May 17, 2016||978-1401261047|
|Batman '66 Vol. 5||Batman '66 #23-30||December 13, 2016||978-1401264833|
|Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet||Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet #1-6||March 24, 2015||978-1401252281|
|Batman '66 Meets The Man From U.N.C.L.E.||Batman '66 Meets The Man From U.N.C.L.E. #1-6||September 13, 2016||978-1401264475|
|Batman '66 Meets Steed & Mrs. Peel||Batman '66 Meets Steed & Mrs. Peel #1-6||September 27, 2017||978-1401268206|
|Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77||Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 #1-6||October 3, 2017||978-1401273859|
Response to the series was positive. Benjamin Bailey of IGN gave the first issue a 9.8 out of 10 calling it "nothing short of brilliant" saying that "even if you aren't a fan of the classic TV show, you'll have a good time here. It's a blast from start to finish." Meanwhile, Den of Geek gave the first issue a 8 out of 10 saying that "Batman '66 looks like it might just fit right in with the spirit of the show's better episodes." The A.V. Club's Oliver Sava, in reviewing the second issue, called it "a delightfully silly look at a bygone era of Batman, (and) also one of the year’s finest superhero comics."
- "DC Comics To Publish A Batman Sixties TV Show Comic, As Well As A Batusi Exclusive Toy For San Diego Comic Con". Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News.
- "DC Comics To Publish A Batman JEFF PARKER Writes BATMAN 1966, Digital-First Comic". Newsarama.com.
- "BATMAN '66 2013". DC Comics. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Beedle, Tim (2015-06-09). "EXCLUSIVE: Get Your First Look at Batman '66's Harley Quinn in Action". DC Comics. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ""Injustice" Ends, Killer Croc Debuts in "Batman '66" and More from DC in October". Comic Book Resources. 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "BATMAN '66 #10". DC Comics. 2014-04-30. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Sava, Oliver. "Exclusive DC preview: The Allreds end Batman '66 by going back to the beginning". A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Batman '66". Comic Vine. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Kevin Smith & Ralph Garman Announce New Batman/Green Hornet Project – (DCAA 206)". YouTube.
- The Multiversity Guidebook: January 2015
- Bailey, Benjamin (2013-07-03). "Batman '66 #1 Review". IGN. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Cecchini, Mike (2013-07-05). "Batman 66 #1 (DC Comics) Review". Den of Geek. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Sava, Oliver. "The deliciously retro Batman '66 is a huge step forward for DC digital comics". A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 21 November 2016.