Basketball Ireland (BI; Irish: Cispheil Éireann) is the national governing body for the sport on the island of Ireland. Part of FIBA Europe, the European governing body, and of FIBA, the World governing body, BI is responsible for the promotion and administration of basketball throughout Ireland and for Irish international participation. The organisation was founded in 1945 as the Amateur Basketball Association of Ireland (ABAI). The name of the organisation changed from the original ABAI to the Irish Basketball Association (IBA) in 1980.
|Headquarters||National Basketball Arena, Dublin|
BI operates as a conduit with Government Departments, particularly the Department of Transport, Arts, Tourism & Sport who have significantly funded BI in the past. BI is also the main conduit for the Irish Sports Council who provide significant funding.
BI positions itself as a service centre for all levels of the game, facilitating all aspects of promoting and running the sport. At national level, BI acts under the direction of the Board of Basketball Ireland whose remit includes financial governance and business strategy formation. BI also supports the National Council, the body on which every facet of the sport is represented, which acts as the sport policy formation and activation centre of the sport. BI seeks to promote the game, in all its forms, to supporters and prospective supporters by emphasising the great attributes of basketball.
- National Leagues
|Senior National||Senior National|
|Intermediate Club Championship||Intermediate Club Championship|
|U20 National||U20 National|
|U18 National||U18 National|
|U18 Shield||U18 Shield|
- Schools League and Cup
- All-Ireland Club Championships (U14/U16 Boys and Girls)
- National Area Intermediate Competition
Senior national teamsEdit
In February 2010, Basketball Ireland deactivated both the senior men's and women's national teams due to the effects of a financial crisis within the organisation. The full effect of the financial crisis was a debt of €1.2m, which made the continued funding of the national program too much of a financial burden. In June 2014, it was announced that Basketball Ireland were readmitting the senior national teams to international play in 2015.
- "The Irish Sports Council Report and Financial Statements 2006" (PDF). sportireland.ie. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 October 2017. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Irish Basketball - A Brief History". Archived from the original on 2016-05-29. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "About Us". Archived from the original on 2016-02-03. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "Basketball Ireland wind-up international teams". rte.ie. 24 February 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2021.
- "Ireland to return to international play in 2015". ballineurope.com. Retrieved 12 May 2021.