Scott Meyer (author)(Redirected from Basic Instructions (comics))
Scott Meyer in 2014, taken by Missy Meyer
May 11, 1971 |
Sunnyside, Washington, United States
|Genre||Science Fiction, Fantasy, Humor, Mystery|
Meyer initially began posting Basic Instructions on his LiveJournal account in 2003 and in 2006, began posting the strips on its own website, basicinstructions.net. Strips were posted three times a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and each comic contained four panels in a grid, and each panel typically contains instructions as well as the standard comic drawings. In June 2015, Meyer announced that he would be stopping the production of Basic Instructions, and would start re-running older comics. The instructions were based on a "how to" topic seemingly taken from everyday life, such as "How to Lie for Recreational Purposes" or "How to Win at Monopoly Without Losing a Friend", and then dealt with the subject in a frequently perverse or unexpected manner. The characters in the comic were Scott Meyer himself and representations of the people he interacted with on a daily basis, such as his wife, his boss, and his best friend. The author has stated in interviews that many of the characters were based on real people. The comic has been available on LiveJournal since 2003 and on the author's Web site since 2006.
Four books have been published, the first two by Dark Horse Comics, all containing compilations of strips with some new content, forewords written by the characters and commentary on the comics themselves. A page-a-day calendar featuring strips from the comic were printed from 2011 to 2014.
Meyer ended the comic in August 2015. Reruns are still available on the website.
Basic Instructions CollectionsEdit
Magic 2.0 is a comic fantasy series of books written by Scott Meyer. The series so far consists of three novels, Off to Be the Wizard, Spell or High Water, and An Unwelcome Quest which were published annually from 2013 to 2015 by publisher 47North. The series follows Martin Banks, a programmer from 2012, who uses a computer file that allows him to alter reality to time travel to medieval England where he joins a community of other computer programmers posing as wizards. According to a post on the series' Facebook page on May 3, 2015, the author has recently begun work on a fourth book in the Magic 2.0 series.
Master of FormalitiesEdit
2015 saw the release of a new series, the Science Fiction book Master of Formalities.
The Authorities is a police procedural mystery novel set in Seattle, WA.
Scott lives and works near Phoenix, Arizona with his wife Missy Meyer.
- "Basic Instructions". Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- Meyer, Scott. "Basic Instructions". Basic Instructions. Scott Meyer. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Manning, Shaun. "(DON'T) TAKE HIS ADVICE: MEYER ON "BASIC INSTRUCTIONS"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Aboraya, Abe. "Seattle comic artist's long road to success". Seattle PI. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Adams, Scott. "Basic Instructions, Part 1". Dilbert Blog. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Wheeler, Andrew. "Review: "The Curse of the Masking-Tape Mummy" by Scott Meyer". Comic Mix. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Cowlisha, Brad. "Basic Instructions Creator Now Writes Novels". Sequart Organization. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Scott Meyer writes fantasy series for computer science enthusiasts". Tufts Daily. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Off to Be the Wizard Facebook Page". Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Meyer, Scott (2014-03-18). Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0). Seattle, Washington: 47North. ISBN 978-1612184715. Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- "Experience the wonders of time travel with books old and new". Salisbury Post. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- Meyer, Scott (2014-06-17). Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0). Seattle, Washington: 47North. ISBN 978-1477823484. Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- Meyer, Scott (2015-02-10). An Unwelcome Quest (Magic 2.0). Seattle, Washington: 47North. ISBN 978-1477821404. Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- Chitty, Mark. "An Unwelcome Quest by Scott Meyer (Magic 2.0 #3)". SFF World. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Off to Be the Wizard Facebook page".
- "Fight and Flight Audiobook". Audible website. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Master of Formalities at Goodreads". Goodreads. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "The Authorities at Goodreads". Goodreads. Retrieved October 21, 2015.