Bashir Ahmad (mixed martial artist)
Bashir Ahmad (born October 12, 1982) is a Pakistani-American professional mixed martial artist who is known as the "God-father of Mixed Martial Arts Pakistan". He is famous for being the pioneer of mixed martial arts in Pakistan. He is currently signed with ONE Championship.
Bashir Ahmad in 2015
|Born||October 12, 1982|
Faisalabad, Punjab, Pakistan
|Other names||Bashir "Somchai" Ahmad|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (170 cm)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Style||Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Mixed Martial Arts|
|Fighting out of||Mixed Martial Arts Pakistan|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Bashir Ahmad was born in the city of Faisalabad in Punjab, Pakistan, but moved to Great Falls, Virginia, United States, with his parents when he was three years old. In 2002, he pursued a career in the U.S. military, joining the Virginia National Guard. In 2004, he was deployed to Iraq when the war broke out. He was stationed in Mosul, working as a U.S. Army medic in a team that disarmed explosives. Ahmad started training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu around 2005, when the boom of MMA was taking place in North America.
He came to Lahore, Pakistan in 2007 with the aim of promoting MMA in his native country. After training local kids jiu jitsu for some time, he went to Thailand for a year to train in Muay Thai. On his return to Pakistan in 2009, he set up a small MMA training gym in his own apartment. The apartment was so filthy that he named it 'The Slaughterhouse'.
In 2012, Ahmad opened a proper gym named "Synergy MMA Academy" in Lahore which has grown to become one of the biggest gyms in the country.
Bashir Ahmad laid the foundations of Mixed Martial Arts Pakistan with his arrival in Pakistan in 2007. The purpose of Mixed Martial Arts Pakistan was to promote all martial arts and combat sports in the country while mainly focusing on MMA. Working on his purpose, he went around whole country organizing seminars mostly for BJJ and MMA and helped in conducting the very first MMA fighting events.
ONE Championship careerEdit
Bashir Ahmad was the first Pakistani to fight MMA on international platform when he made his debut in ONE Championship by fighting Shannon Wiratchai at ONE Championship: Kings and Champions on April 5, 2013. Ahmad got a cut in the first round but doctors let the fight continue and Ahmad won his debut fight through unanimous decision. At ONE Championship: Champions and Warriors, he lost by Bruno Pucci who holds a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He fought Tanaphong Khunhankaew at ONE FC: Roar of the Tigers and won by submitting him with Rear naked choke.
In ONE Championship: Valor of Champions, Bashir Ahmad stepped in to fight Amir Khan Ansari on a 3-day notice when Shannon Wiratchai, original opponent of Khan was injured. Bashir Ahmad lost that fight by TKO on Doctor's Stoppage. Bashir Ahmad was scheduled to fight Martin Nguyen at ONE Championship: Odyssey of Champions but the fight was cancelled when Jadamba Narantungalag couldn't appear to fight for the main title match and Martin Nguyen took his place.
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|6 matches||4 wins||2 losses|
|Win||4–3||Mahmoud Mohamed||Submission (heel hook)||ONE Fighting Championship: State of Warriors||October 7, 2016||1||1:23||Yangon, Myanmar|
|Loss||3–3||Jimmy Yabo||KO (Punch)||ONE Fighting Championship: Tribe of Warriors||February 20, 2016||1||0:21||Jakarta, Indonesia|
|Loss||3–2||Amir Khan Ansari||TKO (Doctor's Stoppage)||ONE Fighting Championship: Valor of Champions||April 24, 2015||3||3:20||Pasay, Philippines|
|Win||3–1||Tanaphong Khunhankaew||Submission (rear-naked choke)||ONE Fighting Championship: Roar of Tigers||October 17, 2014||1||4:38||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Loss||2–1||Bruno Pucci||Submission (rear-naked choke)||ONE Fighting Championship: Champions & Warriors||September 13, 2013||1||3:13||Jakarta, Indonesia|
|Win||2–0||Shannon Wiratchai||Decision (Unanimous)||ONE Fighting Championship: Kings and Champions||April 5, 2013||3||5:00||Kallang, Singapore|
|Win||1–0||Mohammad Arshad||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Pak Fight Club – PFC 2||April 14, 2012||1||0:26||Lahore, Pakistan|
- "BASHIR AHMAD". Pak Champions. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- De Souza, Wesley (July 29, 2012). "Five Minutes With The Godfather Of Pakistani MMA, Bashir Ahmad". Pro MMA Now. Wesley De Souza. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Malick, Rehan. "The Rise of MMA in Pakistan". The 3rd Umpire. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "PAKISTAN – PART 1 OF 3". Vice Fightland. May 14, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "ہانی پاکستانی – MMA Special". VOA Voice of America. December 26, 2014. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Fight Path: The 'warrior monk' life of Pakistan gym owner Bashir Ahmad". MMA Junkie. MMAjunkie Staff. March 29, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Court, Nathan. "PAK MMA'S Bashir Ahmed Talks to the Fight Lounge". The Fight Lounge. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Marrocco, Steven (September 12, 2013). "Featherweight Bashir Ahmad's road to ONE FC 10 began in the Iraq War". MMA Junkie. Steven Marrocco. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- "Bashir Ahmed: "I can be a contender for the ONE FC belt"". Fighting Lifestyle UAE. November 8, 2014. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Rehman, Sonya. "The MMA Roadshow comes to Pakistan". Esquire Middle East. Jeremy Lawrence. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Bashir Ahmad: Muslim MMA star appalled by 'the cult of Donald Trump'". CNN. 18 February 2016. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- Meet Bashir Ahmad, a US Army veteran and the "Godfather of Pakistani MMA"
- "Team Quest Thailand's Pro MMA Fighter – Bashir Ahmad". Team Quest Thailand.
- "First Trip: The Beginning – I". PAK MMA Blog.
- "How PAK MMA Began? The Beginning – II". PAK MMA Blog.
- Raimondi, Marc (March 5, 2013). "Pakistan's MMA founder started sport from tiny gym that doubled as his apartment". New York Post. Marc Raimondi. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "This Fighting Life 3: Bashir Ahmad and MMA in Pakistan". Mixed Martial Arts. The Underground Blog. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Goyder, James (March 15, 2013). "Pakistani MMA Pioneer Bashir Ahmad Wants to Take on Top Indian Fighters". Fighters. James Goyder. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved October 17, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Goyder, James (April 6, 2013). "Shannon Wiratchai comes up short in Singapore". The Phuket News. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Goyder, James (Sep 11, 2013). "ONE FC: 'Champions & Warriors' preview (part one)". MMA Mania. James Goyder. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Goldman, Eddie (October 17, 2014). "Marat Gafurov Defeats Rob Lisita by Rear Naked Choke in The Main Event". ADCC News. Eddie Goldman. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Nazran, Hazwady (April 21, 2015). "Bashir Ahmad steps up to face Amir Khan for One Championship on 3 days notice". MMA Latest. Hazwady. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- "One Championship Valor of Champions Results". Pinoy Pride Sports. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Nazran, Hazwady. "Martin Nguyen to fight Marat Gafurov for the One Championship Featherweight title this Sunday". MMA Latest. Hazwady. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Ahmed, Zohaib. "Bashir Ahmad finishes off Egyptian opponent in opening round". Express Tribune. Retrieved 20 October 2016.